Complete France Forum

Virus or is it???

I have just completed my weekly Virus check on my computer.  It showed "infected" files, but it did not quarantine or delete them as it normally does.  When I did a search on the infection name, I found websites that stated it was not in fact a virus, but another flaw in Microsoft that COULD allow easy access by trojans via these files.  I tried to go to Microsoft's updates webpage to download any new updates (with the idea of correcting the flaw), but the sight seems to be having some problems right now (or perhaps it is my computer, though all other sites can be accessed fine).  I will try again in a little while.

Here are the names of the files:

Java.ByteVerify!exploi  (I left the "t" off the end as I'm not sure if typing the exact file name will affect this website -  don't laugh, I'm not that computer smart)

Java/Shinwow.   and then two letters AT  and another file with same prefix and two different letters AZ at the end

Has anyone encountered this?  If so, what did you do about it?

Normally if my Anti-Virus software detects something, it automatically deletes or quarantines it.  This is the first time it hasn't done that.  And, yes, the software is automatically mise a jour each time I turn on the computer. 

Thanks for any help offered.

Thanks Dick.  I did go there before.  I cannot seem to open the Microsoft Updates webpage.  It tries, but stops mid-point.  I guess you must not have had a problem going there?  It must be my computer.

I need to download the patch to fix the problem.  In order to do that, I need to go to the Microsoft Updates page to get the patch.  I can't.

Is there any other way I can get the patch??  I've tried several times to access the Update page and cannot.  System just hangs up.

?

Thanks again Dick.  I have tried to find the patches outside of Microsoft's Update webpage, since I cannot access it.  Perhaps this supposed compromise is really a virus on my machine.  If so, perhaps IT is denying my access to the Updates page...  who knows.  It still shows up as not being a real virus only another flaw in Windows.  I can't think of any other reason why I would not be able to access the Updates page.

I have managed to download other supposed patches from various locations on Microsoft pages I can access.  However, they don't seem to correspond to my XP svc pk 2 system.  You can rest assured I will NEVER AGAIN purchase a Microsoft computer NEVER NEVER NEVER.  

However, until the moment when I can afford to buy a new computer, I have to try to keep this piece of $*&$##*&  running.

I have spent the entire day trying to get this patch.  Now, I will send an email to Microsoft asking them to send me the patch via email.  God knows where that will get me..

Thanks anyway Dick.  I appreciate your help.

Lori, I had Java.ByteVerify a few months ago. Not a problem, and easy to remove.

Here are the instructions on how to manually remove:

1. From the Start button, click Settings> Control Panel
2. In the Control Panel, open the "Java Plug-in Control Panel"
3. Select the Cache Tab
4. Click the Clear button inside the Cache Tab, which will clear your JRE cache directory

Alternatively if Cache Tab not available after 2 go to Temporary Internet Files and Delete. 

Baz

Thank you Baz.  I did manage to do that yesterday.  Re-ran the Virus program and boom, "infected" files gone.

I can't believe how long that took me though.  I spent nearly the entire day working on this problem.  I'm sure it is because I know little about computers and kept trying to sign on to the windows update page or find out how to get the patch elsewhere.  What a waste of time.

At least now it is taken care of.

Thanks.

Archived