Complete France Forum

Lightning strike!

Hypothetically speaking, if one's house gets struck by lightning, and, at the time, one's computer is connected to the phone socket, and the box thing that connects to the keyboard and telly thing (hard drive?) fizzes and then a puff of smoke comes out, and then when one tries to connect to Ladbrokes.com a little box comes up on the telly thing saying 'Remote computer did not respond', does one need a new modem? [blink]

Not only those bits but in our case we found the battery back-up to the fire alarm and smoke vent opener had melted and the whole box was very very hot. Quite exciting and now disconnected and replaced with ordinary battery powered smoke detectors. WE found out at the same time that the large Velux on a landing flew open to let the smoke out, for a few minutes I thought the whole window had disappeared.

Regards.

Computers should always be supplied with power via a protective device i.e. a multiway with line, telephone etc protected. Belkin do various types, multimedia or audiovisual, and each comes with insurance, if the protection fails and your computer fries, they replace! Don't know if this applies to the person operating at time of strike[+o(]

Yes, us too! We are in the middle of having a claim sorted in France because of lightning a lightening strike on our laptop.

I left the power cord plugged in and lightening blew it, however, I cleverly changed the fuse and when connected to my laptop it blew the hard drive [:$].

We are going to replace it with a PC but will have to look at some sort of protection device as Mikew suggests. The lightning and storms around our way in the Dordogne are incredible, wonder why they are so lethal around here. I have never experienced this here in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

[quote user="Ab"]does he modern disconjuncteur not protect as fitted in houses instead of the old fuse box???????????????[/quote]

No they do not protect in standard form. You can buy expensive parafoudres which are can be fitted to the board or smaller noes which just protect the 'phone lines but the off the peg boxes from Leroy Merlin etc do not protect againts Lightning.  

Archived