Complete France Forum

So now what?

I checked to see if I can get ADSL and it seems we are between 5.7 and 8.5 Kilometers from the exchange.

So it seems to be impossible are there any other ways I can get a faster service than the moment - I currently nap between pages.

People send me enormous attachments and even getting up in the early hours it is no quicker to download and AOHell restarts every download if it has been interupted - GGRRRRRRRRR!

Can I lay my own cable to the exchange?

No, you can't lay your own cable, unfortunately.

I'm in the same position, and my only option would seem to be an expensive wireless connection to a base a few k away. I don't entirely understand all the details - Will knows about it, and has (as far as I know) not gone for it, which might suggest it ain't great. It's certainly expensive in terms of the wireless modem etc - about €200 if I remember correctly. And then you have to be in range of a base station.

Apart from that there is satellite, but I know nothing about that at all.

Have you actually rang the likes of Wannadoo and checked whether you can get ANY kind of ADSL connection? Even 512k would be worth it.

We were told there was no way we'd get anything above 2mb -- but we get over 4mb...

There is also a programme available for dial up connections that gives you 'near adsl speeds' for surfing; it doesn't improve your download speeds though. Think it costs around 20GBP and has been reviewed favourably.

Good Luck.

This is what it says - all the offers from major suppliers say impossible but the last two lines of the report say OUI but does this just mean the telephone exchange is compatible with ADSL?

I collect and listen to 78rpm records as I can just about understand how the discs were made and how the players work.

This electrickery stuff is strange to me.

Ligne testée : 05 53 xx xx xx

Caractéristiques générales de la ligne :

Code Commutateur Local : MEN24 [Fiche détaillée]

Nom Commutateur Local : LAVAURE

Longueur de ligne : 5700 mètres [+]

6/10 sur 3710m, 5/10 sur 18m, 4/10 sur 1972m

Affaiblissement : 68.02 dB

[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL : 259 kbps (32 ko/s)

[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL 2+ : 219 kbps (27 ko/s)

Caractéristiques IP/ADSL France Télécom :

Plaque ADSL : AQ1

Type de DSLAM : ALCATEL

NRA compatible ADSL2+ FT : Oui

NRA compatible ReADSL FT : Oui

It does, but the bad news is that the signal is so attenuated that it may not act like broadband; for comparison, our line comes in at 8192kbps ADSL on the same test.  It's because you are so far from the Commutateur.  So if you installed broadband it would be a bit better than snailband but I would not expect too much.

Grr - same problem here...

• Numéro de téléphone :

05530*****
  • Code NRA :

CBJ24
  • NRA (commutateur local) :

CUBJAC
  • Distance vous séparant du central :

6044 m
    (détails)
  • Taux d'atténuation :

55.43 dB