Complete France Forum

connecting very old tel.line.help.

A new neighbour has bought a house and it has tel.wiring but socket has been removed.

I know you normally have 8 colored wires but this has only 4!!!!!!!-grey/white/blue/tranparent.

I guess the house has not been connected for 20 +years.

Can these wires be used and to which position on a new legrande socket for example'?or do they need a rewiring job?

If the house has not been connected for years than when you request a connection from France Telecom they will fit the primary socket (you will pay for this) if it is a simple reconnection i.e reinstatement of a line recently taken out of service and the current type master socket is fitted and working then more basic connection fee will apply.

I think in your case you do not need to worry (yet) about the colour codes, when the master socket is fitted you repeat the connections and colur codes if you wish for any extensions that you choose to fit.

Please note one major difference over here: if they connect 2 sockets -master + 1 extension, whenever a phone is plugged into the master (or more correctly termed "test socket") it will isolate any further extensions on the line. So if like me they connected two sockets you would not be able to use a phone in each, - either yes but not both.

Archived