Complete France Forum

English subtitles on French TV?

I read somewhere in this section that it is possible to get English subtitles on French TV programmes, if you have Teletext. I have tried to find this theme again but with no success! Can anyone explain to me how I can enable this process on my  French (Thompson) TV set.[:D]

I sometimes see French films on BBC4 with subtitles and find it very helpful to gain more knowledge of the language.

Sounds like a fairytale to me, M Lautrec, but should you find how to do this then please let me know! 

I know the freeview TNT box appears to offer multilingual languages and subtitles in its menu but in practice the subtitles are not available - not on our box, anyway. 

This reminds me of when I connected a sattelite system (analogue, French only channels) for some friends and they then asked me to return to show them how to get teletext, they said it would help them with their French vocabulary so I was happy to help.

When I showed them how to get the sub-titles they complained that they weren't in English!

Thinking about it (I should have tried that earlier) I suppose it does help, listening in French but reading the subbies in English.

I watch DVDs that way (and vice versa) but I am certain you can't get English subtitles on straightforward French Teletext!

I'm sure there is some logic to that - but the thought of simultaneously listening to French and reading English blows my brain cell!

Re TNT, although I've never managed to get the box to show ANY subtitles, never mind English, you can get some film soundtracks in multilangue.  There was 

John Wayne film on Arte which claimed to have either French or German. 

When we tried the German option it was in English.

Mind you, if you get French subtitles there's absolutely very little correlation between what is said and what is written - often the slang (spoken) is 'cleaned up' and the grammar formalised, and then because this takes up space, half the dialogue is missed out. Better than US English subtitles, though.

Dick,

That's true, but once you start getting used to it, you can say, smugly, 'she didn't say that, she said this'.

Mind you, by the time these words are out of my mouth, the whole plot has become a mystery (again).

Edit: We were saying the same thing, I think, at the same time, Cassis

I stand corrected. The theme that I found again, says that you can get FRENCH subtitles on the French programmes, not English.

Anyone that saw 'Jean de Floret' and 'Manon de Sources' on TV recently, I am sure would agree that it is very instructional to hear spoken French and read the English underneath.

I will therefore keep an eye on BBC4 where they regurlarly have foreign films with the subtitles. But thanks for the info, even if it was not what I wanted to hear![:(]

I think that we should perpetuate this to make it become an urban legend. When I was younger I found that the most effective way of duping someone with a wind up was to tell them something that they either really wanted to believe or dreaded, that way they were so delighted or angry that they did not rationalise in ther normal way.

Tell very French person that asks if you watch French TV "yes but with the english sub-titrage" - after all if they cannot be convinced that the Brits are not buying up every house here then they will surely believe that their relevance audiovisuelle goes towards paying someone to translate and provide sub-titrage for etrangers.

Archived