Complete France Forum

French TV to England?

The good news is that although not all British TVs will work in France, the vast majority of French-bought ones will work on the British system. You will certainly be able to connect digital receivers, DVD players etc via the Scart socket, and all should work perfectly, but you shoud also be able to receive British programmes via the aerial too.

As Will says,  fine for SCART connections.

As to off air reception,  dig out the manual and see which TV systems it will operate with.   System L will be there (the French system) - you're looking for system I.

Most French sets will do B & G,  which get you the pictures on the UK system but not the sound!   Our two French TV's do B/G but not I,  but as Will says many do.

If you haven't got the manual try exploring the onscreen menus (if there are any!)

This is one of the few times where technological progress works against you.

20 years ago if you had done this, the components (of the IF strip/comb filters, which separate the sound and the vision parts of the off-air signal, dumping the FM carrier along the way) were sufficiently coarse and fuzzy in their selectivity that often a supposed PAL-B/G set would happily 'find' the wider-spaced sound part of  a  PAL-I TV signal. I speak whereof I know; I brough back to the UK just such a Set from Germany.

These days, where the entire tv's works can be put on a few chips, there's no chance of such felicitous serendipity, it's either designed to work in the UK/Eire market or it's not!

p

Brought French TV back 4 years ago:

1) had to pay £30 to enable reception of U K channels

2) further £30 to get the sound of U K channels !!

Cheaper to buy one in U K (

P S

You will now have to convince French authorities that you no longer have a T V there. The onus is on you

to prove this - not theirs. Beware.

[quote user="agcat"]Brought French TV back 4 years ago:

1) had to pay £30 to enable reception of U K channels

2) further £30 to get the sound of U K channels !!

Cheaper to buy one in U K (

P S

You will now have to convince French authorities that you no longer have a T V there. The onus is on you

to prove this - not theirs. Beware.

[/quote]

You make it sound frightfully draconian :  The - not unnatural - assumption is that the majority of homes in France have a television. They re all (albeit reluctantly) going to pay their Redevance AV, as far as I can see life is easier now that it's automatically included as part of the Taxe D'Habitation. If you do not posess a TV you simply tick the appropriate box on the form.

If you declare you don't have a TV, surely the authorities either believe you or don't believe you. It then being up to them to prove you do, indeed, have a set.

How exactly would one prove they don't have a set ? Send them a picture of a space where the set would have been?

p

Archived