Complete France Forum

I wish I could persuade more people to use it.  I think everyone's frightened that it's going to cost them but it would be so much cheaper if all our relatives in the UK would sign up.  The other one that we use is Google Talk, which is also free.  Trouble is, we only have one set of friends using Skype and two on Google Talk.[:(]

We use Skype and have no complaints at all. Calls to the UK currently cost 0.017cents a minute, which, given the amount of time SWMBO is on the phone is great.

There is another one called Voip http://voip.co.uk/ which will give you an actual phone number and it doesn't have to be local to where you live. As I understand it, and I'm no expert, if you make a lot of calls to a particular country, you can have a number, from that country. This means that any calls made are charged at a local rate. Whether this would work with the US of A, I don't know.

Skype still charge extra for a number allocation.

Hi,

We use Skype to talk with relatives and friends in Sweden and the UK. We also have a webcam which the kids think is great. The webcam is slow, due I understand to the web not being able to process video at normal speed at this time. This doesn't really cause a problem, just seems a bit odd at first as the sound is not in synch with the picture. We tried yahoo and msn messenger, but none of them worked as well as skype. We already had a contract for free calls within France, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered as skype works well with them. Sound quality is very good and there is a good help system to adjust sound quality. My father in law is 69 and until a couple of months ago had not used a computer, let alone the internet. We bought him a computer and webcam and he uses it to 'skype' us several evenings a week. It's fantastic for my wife and him to keep in contact so easily. We have broadband, as do our contacts. I don't know how well it would work on dial up.

Hope this helps.

Paul

I have used skype for ages now and it has saved me a fortune. I call French landlines for free and other skype users as far away as Australia. I found that with a microphone and speakers or headphones there was some echo on the line, but have now bought a USB skype phone for £23 and it has made a world of difference.

50MB of memory running in the background is nothing. If you keep it switched off until you want to use it then that means others have to use a landline to contact you. I keep mine on all the time, with 1GB (1000Mb) of internal memory and 3 times that of virtual memory, it does not slow my machine at all.

Archived