Complete France Forum

Is it possible?

Weve bought a new French computer and signed up for broadband with Neuf. It all seems to work great except that there doesn`t seem to be any notification that we`ve received emails (we were on AOL and an icon used to go red and it said `vous avez des emails`). Is there anything I can do to the computer so it would do something similar? It seems to be on Outlook Express 6 (although I struggle with new technology and don`t really know what I`m doing with it half the time!)

The other thing is - how do I send a web address to someone in an email or instant Message. On AOL I used to click on the heart symbol and drag it into the email.

Many thanks for any info

Cheryl

Thanks for the replies. I`ll try the paste and copy thing which sounds easy enough. I don`t think I get a blue envelope at the bottom of the screen, although it`s all a bit strange and new after AOL which is the only ISP I`ve ever used before - and the computer keeps telling me things in French, which is a bit tricky as I didn`t really understand those technical questions when they were in English on the old computer!

Cheryl 

Cheryla, from what you are saying I guess that you have a new email address. If that's the case and because you will have to tell your friends anyway, have a look at 'gmail'. It's Googles own email program and it's excellent. It's free, of course, well protected from virus intrusion and you will get virtually no junk mail. Best of all, in your case you get a little grey envelope in the 'taskbar' that changes to blue when you have mail.

With regards to Outlook Express

Go to the "Tools" - "Options" menu choice

Under "General" tab, you can check the box that says "Play sound when new messages arrive"

As for the sound it makes, you can change that (in Windows XP at least) by going to "Control Panel"  "Sounds, Speach & Audio Devices" click that, then select "Change the Sound Scheme", scroll down the list at the bottom and find "New Mail Notification"  You can select from a range of standard sounds.  It may be that you are actually getting sound when a mail arrives, but the defaut is a quiet 'blip' so you may not be noticing it.

Matt

Archived