Complete France Forum

Onetel won't let me go!

I signed on with Onetel three years ago - last year I moved back temporarily to the UK and cacelled my phone  - I wrote to Onetel telling them that I wish to cancel my subscription - they never replied and each month I receive a demand for the monthly subscription fee - I have written to them annd emailed numerous times but have got no response - occasionally I get a letter from DEFENSE CONTENIEUX (what is this?) demanding the money. Any suggestions as to how I can get them off my back. Phoning's no good - it's expensive and when you ring they put you on hold - HELP!

cheers

Mel.

Did you send the letter by registered delivery?  As I understand it, that is normally one of the requirements of dealing with such compaines when cancelling contracts.

If not, I'd suggest sending another registered letter - if you get no response from them then, you can prove that you sent them a letter.

Matt

[quote user="melmoth"]I signed on with Onetel three years ago - last year I moved back temporarily to the UK and cacelled my phone  - I wrote to Onetel telling them that I wish to cancel my subscription - they never replied and each month I receive a demand for the monthly subscription fee - I have written to them annd emailed numerous times but have got no response - occasionally I get a letter from DEFENSE CONTENIEUX (what is this?) demanding the money. Any suggestions as to how I can get them off my back. Phoning's no good - it's expensive and when you ring they put you on hold - HELP!cheers. Mel.[/quote]

You should look at your contract to find out how to cancel. The info will be under 'Résiliation'

As a general rule:

some contracts are automatically re-conducted unless an appropriate period of notice is given.

some contract may run for a minimum period of time before notice is accepted.

the notice of cancellation can vary according to the supplier.

notices of cancellation are usually required to be made by registered post with proof of delivery (called LR+AR in French)

the cancellation address may be different from the usual contact address.

You'll find a sample letter (in French) on the consumers' website:

http://www.conso.net/bases/1_pour_comprendre_agir/2_conseils/conseil_456_conseil_456_com_005_contrat.rtf

Recouvrement en contentieux may mean are planning to pass or may have passed the debt on to an agency, which will add costs to your debt. Difficult to comment on how far this has already gone without more specific details. This is serious. Take action.

FAQ

Puis-je résilier mon inscription à

One.Tel à tout moment ?

Oui. Vous pouvez résilier votre inscription à tout moment conformément

aux Conditions Générales de Vente.

Conditions Générales de Vente

Article

6 : Durée et résiliation

6.1 Le Contrat entre One.Tel et

le Client est conclu pour une durée indéterminée. Le Client

pourra mettre fin au Contrat à tout moment en le notifiant à One.Tel

par l'envoi d'une lettre recommandée avec demande d'accusé de réception.

La résiliation sera effective dans le délai maximum d'un (1) mois

à compter de la réception par One.Tel

de la demande de résiliation.

So you can cancel any time you want by sending a registered letter - once that is received (La Poste will send you a receipt for delivery) you're on one month's notice.

I haven't a clue from the website what their address is, though!

[quote user="fulcrum"]This is one of the things I like about Telerabais and what made me use their service. There is no contract to cancel if you decide to leave.
[/quote]

Well, that's really helpful.

MM, just do as clair suggested and you should be able to resolve it, but it may cost you some money.

Their website suggests One months notice to cancel.

[quote user="Gary aka Bugbear"]

[quote user="fulcrum"]This is one of the things I like about Telerabais and what made me use their service. There is no contract to cancel if you decide to leave.

[/quote]

Well, that's really helpful.

MM, just do as clair suggested and you should be able to resolve it, but it may cost you some money.

Their website suggests One months notice to cancel.

[/quote]

Gary. I thought it might be useful to know of a way to avoid being contract bound in France. I have also had a bad experience with OneTel and resiliation in general.

Peace.

Archived