Complete France Forum

France Telecom

For some time we have been experiencing particularly bad quality on our line with calls dropping out ADSL being non-existent that sort of thing.

Two technicians came to investigate this morning and upon arrival said they had found the problem..........I know I have mentioned this before but we live fairly high (if that is possible in Normandie) and the cable ito us ends at our house! On its way it meanders down a lane with banks on either side and has a somewhat difficult route through a variety of trees and whose branches and during high wind conditions continually batter the telephone line.  I have walked today the lane and there are about twenty different trees on about ten parcels of land.

FT said they would try to find the land owners and ask them to cut the trees and if they did not then they would do it and charge the landowners.  Of course they could not give an estimate of the time it would take but presumed perhaps twelve to eighteen months.

Joys of living in France and I am now resigned to nothing happening for some considerable time for obviously it is not for me to enter someone's land and cut trees.

Goodness knows who owns the land.

If you really want to persue it, the Mairie(s) will be able to tell you from the plans cadastral who owns which plots of land. If you ask them nicely, they might even make a few phone calls to 'encourage' the landowners to trim the trees.

Actually, the quickest way is to go onto the land, start up a chain saw, rev it up loudly a few times, and approach a tree. You'll be amazed just how quickly the appropriate landowner materialises !

p

certainly EDF can and do cut trees down - when we bought our place there was a swathe cut through the wood where they had cleared under a line.

If you want FT to sort it you will probably have to insist on getting a name to deal with, and trying to get it in writing so you have a peice of paper to wave at them.

You may well have more success with the Mairie route though, as there does seem to be a tendency to let things slide unless a lot of fuss is made!

Archived