Complete France Forum

problems installing new avg 7.5 version

hi

has anyone else had problems installing this please?    i get as far as downloading and to the icon on screen but when i try to instal (or activate ?) I get an error message saying the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.     i have also tried to uninstal the original avg (not sure why but seemed like something to try !) in order to 'start again' but i get another error message.

not sure whether to give up and try another free anti viral programme or whether to stick with it - cant seem to email the helpline either.        there was a recent joke (dick smith i think) on the off topic forum where the punch line was along lines of - take your computer back to shop and tell man in shop you are too stupid to own a computer (it was a lot funnier than i have made it sound).          Hmmmmmmmmmm starting to ring some bells with me though !  

any ideas please anyone would be welcome !

1. Run the AVG Free Edition 7.5 Setup program

2. Click "Next >" on the AVG "Welcome!" screen

3. Click "Accept" on the "License Agreement on Use of an AVG Free Edition" screen

4. Select "Repair installation" on the "Select Setup Type" screen and click "Next >"

5. Select "Restart the computer now" (pre-selected by the program automatically) and click "OK" on the "Installation Complete!" screen to restart your computer and complete the installation

I presume you followed these instruction.....................

[quote user="J.R."]I followed the above instructions and had the same problem, I now dont know whether the program is installed and/or working. Any useful advice welcome[/quote]

If the program is working, you should have an icon in the taskbar.

There is a help page here, but there's no mention of deleting the previous version at any time...

I would suggest using Windows Restore to go back to a date before the download then starting the whole process again (download, install...)

System Restore is found under Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools

A new window opens giving you the chose to create a new restore point or restore your system to a previous restore point.

Choose restore to previous... a calendar appears and all dates in bold show when previous restore points were made by the system (they should be done automatically by Windows)

Choose a date before you downloaded AVG 7.5.

You will lose all changes made to the system after that date but no changes made to your docs or emails.

Let the system do its thing, which may take up to 10mn.

The system will ask for a restart and you should be able to download AVG 7.5 (in case something went wrong with the download) and install again.

If that does not solve things, you can go back to this morning (PC-wise, not real life-wise!) by cancelling the system restore in the same way you've just restored.

After you complete the System Restore and make sure everything is working okay (including your old AVG) and after you download the AVG 7.5, but before you begin to install it, try this (assuming you have not found different installation instructions on the AVG website):

1. Create a new restore point (call it "Before AVG install" or something similar).

2. Disconnect from the internet.

3. Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the old AVG program.

4. Run the new AVG 7.5 installation program that you downloaded.

If the installation is successful, you're through (unless you want to tweak some settings).  If unsuccessful, you can do another System Restore.

Are you by any chance installing the paid-for version, with anti-malware, rather than the free AVG 7.5?

I tried installing the full version from a PC magazine cover disc, on which AVG was giving away a 90-day licence for the full anti-virus/malware programme. Although it installed OK there were lots of bugs, like the e-mail scanner would not shut off (preventing download of any more e-mails) and the text on some of the screens was all to c**k. I spent hours trying different settings and reinstalling and in the end uninstalled it and went back to the free version, which worked fine before and continues to do so.

oh no - definitely trying to instal the free version !

tried all of above - am now an expert at time travel on my computer (thanks to clair), but still no luck - still cannot uninstal any of the avg and still get error message trying to instal new 7.5 - losing will to live now ...

any other thoughts anyone ??

Have you by any chance had Norton on your computer. If so, are there any bits of it left (it's very difficult to remove completely). If you have try this.

Find anything related to Norton . Look in Windows Explorer (start - all programs - accessories - W.explorer)

Remove your existing copy of AVG using AVG's own unistall program.

Check in 'Remove-install programmes (start - control panel - remove-install progs)

Remove anything related to Norton - AVG - and any other antivirus programme.

As Clair said, rename any programme that would go away (just add an 'x' to the name of the file

Re-boot your machine.

Log-on and install AVG 7.5free.

Good Luck

cracked it (I think).   Not really sure how though - instead of clicking on repair installation from the AVG set up programme i clicked another button for hell of it.   then clicked a few more buttons as instructed by screen; got an error message at one point, clicked anything that moved, and finally seemed to work.

i have checked on test centre and it definitely says its working and i am running version 7.5 ..

so, thanks all, got there in the end, and i learned some other tricks along the way .... (time travel - must get myself a tardis now i have the taste for it !)

Archived