Complete France Forum

Sub-aqua mobile phone

NRJ may have duped me into using their no longer "unlimited credit" service but the basic Nokia phone I bought from them has hidden depths (pun unintended).

I had not realised the implications of having vibrating call alert until I left my phone on the bartop yesterday above a sink of used washing up water, I think that you can guess the rest!

I was shocked to see the name and time of the missed call staring up at me from the depths, the phone had been under water for 3 hours!

When I retrieved it it "died" immediately but I was determined to revive it, in the absence of Pamela Anderson I dismantled it to it's component parts to ensure that no water could be trapped between the PCB and LCD etc, I left it to dry overnight and have just reassembled it and it is working fine, although for how long remains to be seen.

I think that perhaps the washing up liquid has acted as a kind of insulant or oil preventing immediate corrosion because I have previously lost 2 other older Nokias one left out in the rain, the other falling into diluted uric acid!

JR,

You’re absolutely right in your theory – a mobile dropped in soapy water has a much better chance of long term survival than one which gets wet in the rain or is dropped into salt water.

A friend of mine accidentally dropped his Nokia 6310 into a basin of soapy water – he removed the battery and left in on the window sill by an open window.  That was summer 2005 – it’s still working fine!

Some mobile repairers have equipment (sonic bath) which can get water immersed mobile phones working again – another friend jumped into a swimming pool with his Sony Ericsson K750 in his pocket while on holiday!  He tried drying it out, but to no avail.  He noticed an independent mobile phone shop advertising repairs, and as he was keen to recover the photographs on the phone, he asked if they could get it working again.  A few days and (I think) £30 later, his phone was working again.

Archived