Complete France Forum

Printing problems

To start out I should explain that I am not very good (or patient!) with computers so please try to keep the replies suitable for an idiot.

I am using windows XP on a very old slow computer (Pentium something) with an Epson photo R200 printer.

The first and probably simplest problem is that whenever I want to print it defaults to premium photo paper, I want the default to be plain paper as it is quicker and seems to use less ink but I have to manually select it each time, I have clicked on "apply" after changing the settings but it never changes.

My other problem is that I can no longer print my photo's, I just printed a web page so that is OK only photos are a problem.

What is different now is that when I click to print a photo up comes a photo printing wizard which never did before and I have no idea where it has come from. It is not a very clever wizard because I follow all the steps (it was quicker and simpler before)  at the end it says "your photos are being printed" but of course nothing happens.

Any suggestions (simple ones!) please?

Hi JR,

In the absence of any other suggestions, you could try the following.

If the change in the way your printing works has only happened in the last few days / weeks, you could try Windows “System Restore”.  This puts your computer back to the way it was working [correctly] on a date of your choice.

“System Restore” is in Start | All Programmes | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.  Follow the instructions and choose a date when you know the printer worked the way it used to.

If that doesn’t work you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer.

Unplug the printer from your PC.  Go to Control Panel | Printers – click once on the Epson printer icon and press the delete key on your PC.  You should get a confirmation message.

Go the Epson.co.uk website and download the driver for your printer and follow the printer installation process as if you were connecting it for the first time.

Hopefully one of the above procedures will help.

You mention that your PC is “very old and slow”.  How much RAM memory does it have?  The easiest and cheapest way to get a PC working faster is with more RAM memory.  If it’s a branded PC, have a look at http://www.crucial.com/uk/ to see how far you can upgrade your memory.  (I have no connection with Crucial; I’m just a satisfied customer!)

[quote user="J.R."]

To start out I should explain that I am not very good (or patient!) with computers so please try to keep the replies suitable for an idiot.

I am using windows XP on a very old slow computer (Pentium something) with an Epson photo R200 printer.

The first and probably simplest problem is that whenever I want to print it defaults to premium photo paper, I want the default to be plain paper as it is quicker and seems to use less ink but I have to manually select it each time, I have clicked on "apply" after changing the settings but it never changes.

[/quote]

J.R., let me be sure that I understand you.  You've gone to Start/Control Panel/Printers and Other Hardware/View Installed Printers or Fax Printers, right-clicked your Epson Printer and selected Printing Preferences, and under the Main tab, where it says Media Type, you've selected Plain Paper and clicked Okay and your printer still defaults to photo paper?

[quote user="J.R."]

My other problem is that I can no longer print my photo's, I just printed a web page so that is OK only photos are a problem.

What is different now is that when I click to print a photo up comes a photo printing wizard which never did before and I have no idea where it has come from. It is not a very clever wizard because I follow all the steps (it was quicker and simpler before)  at the end it says "your photos are being printed" but of course nothing happens.

Any suggestions (simple ones!) please?

[/quote]

What software are you using to download, view and/or edit your photos?

Archived