Complete France Forum

"Auto View" not working

Something strange happened in the early hours of this morning.  I had a programme selected on my Sky box as "Auto View" and for some reason, although the "reminder" box came up, it did not change channels as it normally does, so the wrong programme was recorded.  I did an experiment and selected another programme early this morning and it worked again.  However, it then failed to change over to Channel 4 and to record "Frasier".

Does anybody know if this is a problem with the digibox, the card, or if it's the broadcast and is happening to anybody else? 

I've experienced this a number of times over the years - I've not really got to the bottom of the problem. Looking at 'techny' forums would seem to indicate that this is a fairly common issue.

It's got to the stage now where if it's something I really don't want to miss, I leave the box on the channel and manually set the DVD recorder to come on when required.

I'll do some more nosing around and if I come up with anything of use I'll post it here.

Tim

Thanks Tim.  Because I rarely watch live TV (Mr C is not a telly fan and we like to keep our evenings to ourselves) it can be very frustrating as I'm often asking it to change channels a couple of times in one evening!  The series link function is also very variable - some programmes work perfectly and others never do.  I much preferred the old analogue system when I could just programme the recorder to change the channel for me.  But that's progress for you I suppose.  I have experimented all morning with pre-programming and it seems to have righted itself but no doubt it will get the hump again when I least want it to.

Happily, Canal+ is working fine so I didn't miss the race from Houston yesterday!

Having been obedient throughout yesterday when I was just experimenting and didn't actually want to record anything, yesterday it turned over to the NASCAR race just 6 laps before the end!  The recording clearly indicated that I had set the Auto view correctly.  It also added something to my list which I had not entered! Do any of the techi fora indicate whether this is a box or a signal problem; or does anybody on here know - Martin, Tim?  I'd be happy to know because if it's the box I can change it or get it repaired.  Otherwise it's going to be a very irritating summer, especially when I go on holiday and discover that it has recorded a load of rubbish and missed the things I want!

Try going to:

www.digitalspy.co.uk

and have a look at the forum area. Some time ago my sky box kept losing stored programs, and there was a lot of chat in the sky technical forum. I think that it was decided that it was a 'feature' of sky, varying from box to box. Try asking a question or two there.

Coop, is this a Sky + box or an ordinary Sky box (and what make?)

?  Sky seems to have a  programme of continual updating of

the software with various upgrades and patches, so from time-to-time we

all suffer odd anomalies (sp) with our boxes - the older the model the

worse it is, in my view.

A couple of days ago, for instance, my Pace box was happily saying

"there are no programmes of this type available" when asked to display

general (i.e. all the programmes, unfiltered) in the EPG. A few days

later it had fixed itself. The Grundig box (considerably younger)

didn't suffer from this.

I'm amazed anyone manages to get their box to change a succession of

autoview listings: for years now I've gone on holiday leaving the box

with a long list of programmes to record only to find it's switched

itself off after either the 2nd or 3rd and I've got nothing but one or

two programmes and a tape (or lately a hard disk) full of blue screen!

At least its no longer restoring factory presets (including 3:4 ratio,

PAL, and that bloody music) every time I press the red button!

p

It is an ordinary Sky digibox (Pace) - the model number on the front is DV3, but no doubt there's more if I look around the back!  I've never had much trouble with it except during power cuts and then it comes back on if the programmes are pre-set.  The only real problem I have had up to now, is the fact that the series link function is very picky - some series it works for and others it never does, but I have always assumed this to be a signal problem, rather than being related to the box itself.

I had a Grundig box in the UK for the Freeview channels and it was great I must say.

Good to know I'm not alone!

[quote user="cooperlola"]

It is an ordinary Sky digibox (Pace) - the

model number on the front is DV3, but no doubt there's more if I look

around the back!  I've never had much trouble with it except

during power cuts and then it comes back on if the programmes are

pre-set.  The only real problem I have had up to now, is the fact

that the series link function is very picky - some series it works for

and others it never does, but I have always assumed this to be a signal

problem, rather than being related to the box itself.

I had a Grundig box in the UK for the Freeview channels and it was great I must say.

Good to know I'm not alone!

[/quote]

Ah, well you're one up on me already: I've NEVER got the series link to work, I assumed it was for the Sky+ boxes.

p

Archived