Complete France Forum

My computer has been naturalised!

For the first timer since being here my computer is working reliably at something like it's full speed thanks to my teachers husband who has kindly fixed and upgraded it for me.

On my request I now have an azerty keyboard as I send e-mails to French friends and needed the accents, on his suggestion I now have the operating system and menus in French which will help us both in due course.

I have had no real problems adapting to the keyboard so far but as it is one of his old claviérs (not sure if it has an accent but wanted to try one!) I do not have an Euro sign or a Pound sign come to that, any suggestions?

Also any suggestions from those that have already made the change as to where I can expect to find difficulties and how they overcame them?

à biént?t - Pah! can't find the "o" with a circumflex!, however I do have these "" yet I thought that the French used something like these << >> for quotation marks or perhaps direct speech?

I'm fairly new to French claviers too (no accent needed) and I have discovered that to get an ô, I have to press the key on the right of the P, immediately followed by the letter whiche needs the accent circonflexe: â ê î ô û.

The € symbol has its own key on my French laptop, but on an English keyboard, I used to type it using Ctrl+Alt+E and it works on this French laptop too.

As I am used to an English keyboard, I usually write these using the Alt + numeric keyboard method described here: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/898543/ShowPost.aspx

Thank you Claire, I am still smiling at calling it a circumflex!

^^^^^^^^ô ^^^^âê^^^^î Blimey you have to be quick don't you?

€€€€€ Hey that works as well!

Now just the pound (livre) sign remqining!

[quote user="J.R."]

€€€€€ Hey that works as well!

Now just the pound (livre) sign remqining!

[/quote]

On my azerty keyboard the £ is just to the left of the 'enter' key, above the $ sign - which it shares a key with.

Sue

Ernie

That is what I have moved on from, its great for the occasional accent but is clunky to use on a regular basis, after dragging and dropping the accented letter you then have to use the mouse to drop back in to the current text position which is difficult and frustrating.

Sue: £££$$$€€€€[:)]

We have the option to switch between qwerty and azerty by pressing 'alt' and 'uppercase' together. I must admit that it gets a little confusing at times, but I mainly use it for é which is 'alt/uppercase' 2. But if I forget to switch back I get some interesting results because I trype (not a smelling mastike!) looking at the keyboard, 2 fingers and thumb on the spaced out bar...[:-))]

I will have to try to remember how to do it on our desktop PC too [8-)]

Archived