Complete France Forum

Changing to Free.Fr

I plan to make the change soon now that I am confident with both my newly souped up and reliable computer and my French teachers husband who now is my support man!

He has suggested Free.Fr to me as he has it and is happy with it, what attracts me are the French TV channels and the free calls to the UK.

I think that I have read enough on this forum to be sure of my decision but would welcome any comments good or bad, I am currently paying 25 euros per month to Wanadoo plus my FT line rental.

He has told me that I must first cancel (faire une resiliation) my Wanadoo contract, subscribe to Free.Fr and let them handle the resiliation of my FT line rental to avoid being without a working phone.

Does this sound right and how do I go about cancelling the Wanadoo abonnement, I have had it for more than one year and I seem to recall that I paid something like 1 Euro for the modem.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I have been with Free for a year and am happy enough with them to take my account with me when we move.

I sent a letter to the address in Bordeaux (on your bill) explaining I would like to cancel my internet account (internet account no.) immediately, they sent a letter back explaining my internet will close at the end of the month, my email account became inactive almost straight away.

Lee

[quote user="J.R."]

He has told me that I must first cancel (faire une resiliation) my Wanadoo contract, subscribe to Free.Fr and let them handle the resiliation of my FT line rental to avoid being without a working phone.

Does this sound right and how do I go about cancelling the Wanadoo abonnement, I have had it for more than one year and I seem to recall that I paid something like 1 Euro for the modem.[/quote]

This is correct. You can find a sample resiliation letter here which you can use and fill in your personal details

Once the Orange service is finished, subscribe to Free on line at Free.fr.

One question: Have you already entered your telephone number on the Free website to find out what level of service you can expect ? TV, speed of connection etc, Degroupé or not... BEFORE you sign up

Danny

I may have mis-understood my ADSL contract with Club Internet but I rather got the impression that one could only cancel in the lead up period to the "next" full year.    Rather like with a TPS satellite contract,  or with insurance.

It would be nice to know that that wasn't the case......?

Martin

You have not misunderstood.

You have subscribed for a minimum one year. After the year you will still be subscribed but can cancel at any point without charge. There are other possibilities. You might be able to make a case for poor quality but I don't think it is easy...If you choose to cancel before your year is up, they will want to charge you the remaining months (sometimes less) . Most other FAIs now offer 100 euros payment toward the one you are cancelling if you sign up with them. Of course, there is no way of knowing if the alternative provider will be better! It could be worse....mmmm.

I have just cancelled my Club Internet subs after the year has expired and am about to sign up with Free soon. Lets hope all goes well there. After my recent Club Internet adsl /line cut outs, I will keep the FT line too. The intermittent service only started happening after 9 months of faultless service. Just about the time you took out your subscription. I dont think the two were connected!

Danny

"He has suggested Free.Fr to me as he has it and is happy with it, what

attracts me are the French TV channels and the free calls to the UK."

As Danny has already said:  have you checked that you can receive TV via your adsl connection? If you can only get 2 mega or less it's not enough.

Also, for calls at no charge if you haven't already done so I do suggest you read this thread: http://www.tiny.cc/pvDAc

I changed to Freebox about a year ago. There was a long delay between their cutting off the FT line and reconnecting to Free, but since then all has been fine, except for an echo on the line. No interruptions to service, touch wood.

Broadband service through Freebox is an improvement on previous Free through Sagem modem. No TV (just outside the area). Free suggest that faxes will not work, but mine seems to, at least outgoing.

Only extra charges have been UK and French mobiles, and "numeros speciaux", in particular azur and indigo (08). It appears to stop you ringing UK premium rate UK numbers.

Thanks Danny.   I had assumed (obviously wrongly) that it (ADSL abonnement) was like the AWFUL insurance broker we had in Nontron who first was very difficult when we made a small claim following damage caused by EDF sending the wrong voltage on one of our phases,  and then held us to another full year's insurance on our tractor even though the renewal papers had been held up in a postal strike at Exeter and relations had entirely broken down between us.  

So the trick is to let CLub Internet think you're staying on after the first year and then cancel.

Not that I have any real reason to;  the main breakdowns have occurred simultaneously with the whole of the rest of the area.

Renewed thanks.

Thank you everybody, we have already checked the speed and distance to the exchange, I hope that I will be able to get the television service but the deal is still worth it without that.

I havn't yet used the links but will try to use one of the standard letters but where do I send it to?

ChezShells said Bordeaux as on the bill but as I have never received a bill I really don,t know who to contact, I should have made this clearer on my posting.

[quote user="J.R."]

Thank you everybody, we have already checked the speed and distance to the exchange, I hope that I will be able to get the television service but the deal is still worth it without that.

I havn't yet used the links but will try to use one of the standard letters but where do I send it to?

ChezShells said Bordeaux as on the bill but as I have never received a bill I really don,t know who to contact, I should have made this clearer on my posting.

[/quote]

From the Orange site

Toute demande de résiliation devra être adressée par courrier
recommandé avec accusé de réception au Service Client France
Télécom.  
La résiliation sera effective le dernier jour du mois pendant lequel
France Télécom réceptionnera le courrier de résiliation. 
Conditions de résiliation à l’initiative du client
En cas de résiliation anticipée du Service pendant la période
initiale de 12 mois, sauf motif justifié, le client est redevable des
mensualités restant à courir
Pour connaître toutes les modalités de résiliation, contactez le

send the letter to

Service Client internet Orange, 33734 BORDEAUX Cedex 9

hope this is clear

Danny

Archived