Complete France Forum

Telephone Connection @ Junction Box

I'm trying to help out a colleague who is having problems with ADSL. It's rather a complicated problem involving intermittent failures, usually after finishing a phone call and replacing the receiver, when he also loses the ADSL connection. He's had the FT engineer round today who informs him the line is OK and the problem lies with his modem.  I've run the modem on my line and it works fine, and this is the latest of 3 modems, all supposedly with the same fault!

The line into his house runs into a rather ancient looking junction box and if I recall correctly, I've read somewhere that these old junction boxes have a filter which can interfere with ADSL.

Can anyone provide a wiring diagram or details on identifying and rendering the filter useless in order to get the line working correctly.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Why not experiment by taking the filter out of circuit and see if it makes a difference ?

Actually....

I seem to recall that our line decends to an old-looking junction

box... I'll go and wrench the top off it and see if it contains a

filter of any sort.

back soon...

p

No, thinking of the wrong house.  The junction box here is quite

new.  I took the top off it, though and it has the FT pair

entering at the top and an earth going to.. erm, earth. (!)

There is a 'filter' which i assume is a lightning protector.

I'd leave any testing until there's fewer thunderstorms about!

p

Hey, this is great! I've had an ADSL problem when I have a BT phone plugged into one of our phone sockets and I just assumed it was an incompatibility issue with the handset. It's an amplifying phone for my wife who is deaf, so we just plug it in when required, but the ADSL service tends to drop off.

Having read the above message I thought it would be worth checking the junction box, and lo and behold there is one of those capacitors/condensors there. I removed it and the phone and ADSL both work again... at the same time!

Many thanks BJSLIV for this information.

Regards

Sid

Archived