Complete France Forum

Satellite vs 3G or similar broadband

I'm not sure if we will be able to get broadband when we move - some places near us ca, some can't, so have been looking into other options. I know satellite comes up alot but have also been looking at gettinga 3G card or similar - would be be slower and/or more expensive?

No-one has answered your first ever post,  and I have to say I myself don't know the answer.  But welcome anyway.

I know people who think that internet delivered by the mobile phone networks is the "future",  personally I hope not because I think they will try and cash in on all the money they've spent (certainly in the UK) on buying the 3G spectrum in the first place.  

Having said that,   I heard recently of a scheme in Eire that does just that,  for €29.99 per month,  ie in some way I assume you gain access to the internet via the mobile phone network.

I'm afraid I have no idea if something similar exists in France,  I think they're going more for local single networks for villages where ADSL via copper is impossible.

Maybe replying will spur an internet expert to contradict me and give you the lowdown.

Hi Catherine,

Using a 3G datacard in a laptop is fine for sending and receiving emails on the move, however it is an expensive way of surfing the web.

Datacard contracts work similar to mobile phone contracts – you pay an amount per month which entitles you to so many megabites of data transfer.  For example, SFR charges €55 per month for 500mB on a 24 month contract.  Have a look on the mobile network websites for details, eg, http://www.sfr.fr/  You also need to check if there is 3G coverage in your area.

Sorry I have no knowledge of connecting to the internet via satellite.

Thansk both - I'm hoping we will be able to get broadband but as I don't have a phone number yet I can't check and want to look into other options as I need a reliable internet connection for work. It looks to me like the mobile option might be about the same price as satelite but I need to do more research if it comes to it.

Yes it is my first post (probably of many - we are moving next year and there are a lot of things I don't know....)

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Catherine

Thanks Chris - that sounds very reasonable! I'm a bit worried about the fact that you have to use dial-up "outwards" though - doesn't that make it difficult to send largish files or move them into FTP folders? Other than that it sounds brilliant......how would you say it compares to broadband?

[quote user="Catherine"]

Thansk both - I'm hoping we will be able to

get broadband but as I don't have a phone number yet I can't check and

want to look into other options as I need a reliable internet

connection for work. It looks to me like the mobile option might be

about the same price as satelite but I need to do more research if it

comes to it.

Yes it is my first post (probably of many - we are moving next year and there are a lot of things I don't know....)

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Catherine

[/quote]

Do you have a neighbour close by? Try inputting their telephone number*

into www.degrouptest.com . it will show if their line is capable of

getting broadband, and what maximum speed. Should be a guide for you

when you get a phone.

p

* search for name and number with www.pagesblanches.fr

Archived