Complete France Forum

Sky Channels problem

I have noticed over the past two weeks that on certain Sky Channels e.g. Challenge+1, Sumo etc (What I would call the odd ones) have started to pixelise and stutter. Could this be because the dish has got slightly out of sinc or the relevant sat has changed position.

It's unlikely that the problem is due to a satellite issue - much more likely is that either your dish has moved slightly, the lnb has moved in it's mount, or perhaps some water ingress in to the co-ax cable. Another thing to look at is tree branches - as the leaves fall the picture may improve - until the spring.

With the info you have given that's the best I can do at the moment.

Tim

I have noticed it as well on several occasions.

Signal strength and quality are excellent (when it happens and all

the time). Clear weather when it happens. I've noticed in on some

of the more regular channels (e.g. ITV3/4 a BBC 3/4 type of ones -

cannot remember exactly).

Has not happened for a week or so, but then maybe I've not been watching those channels recently.  When it happens it might happen a few times in 10 or 15 mins then go away and be fine.

Ian

Ceejay, as I said in previous answer - it's most likely that you need to 'tweak' your dish a little - although the signals appear to come from one place, there are in fact several of the beasts up there (can't remember exactly at the moment) - it's possible that your dish's alignment is just at the edge of decent reception from all of them - also make sure the LNB - the unit on the end of the dish's arm - is aligned. This can be done relatively simply if you can reach your dish - just loosen the screw (s) and twist it slightly one way then the other while keeping an eye on the problem channels.

If you are using a Sky box, then I should take very little notice of the signal strength/quality indicators - they mean next to nothing with those boxes - as I've said in another thread, I seen them giving great readings before I even picked the dish up from the ground to install it!! In addition, they don't show the signal of the channels you are having problems with.

Tim

Each of the satellites in the group which comprise 28.2E is in a box of sky some 10,000sqkm, and they all have potentially different service footprints, so you cannot guarantee that the field strength of transponders from different satellites will be the same, or that you dish is looking squarely at all of them.

The signal strength and quality readings on the Sky digibox are derived from one particular transponder. The likelyhood is that the ones you are having trouble with are coming from a different one, on a different satellite, so you are not necessarilly measuring like-for-like.

p

Archived