Complete France Forum

Buyinf a French computer

I am looking to buy a computer over here as a Xmas presant for my wife but wondered if the operating system,etc could be changed to English. I think that Vista seems to be the latest Windows system so wondered if it was easy to change it to English ???

I was puzzled when I got my new French-bought laptop last week.

Having read the threads about this, I did not think it would come with a choice of languages, but when I started it up and Vista loaded for the very first time, the screen showed a dialogue box asking which language I wanted the operating system in. I chose French. Once selected, it could not be changed.

I run a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium (Vista Edition Familiale Premium)

EDIT: I have looked at the different Vista versions and Vista Edition Intégrale offers a choice of languages for the operating system.

Comment obtenir des fichiers de langue supplémentaires ?

Grâce aux fichiers de langue supplémentaires, vous pouvez modifier la langue d’affichage de votre ordinateur afin que les Assistants, les boîtes de dialogue, les menus, les rubriques d’aide et autres éléments apparaissent dansune autre langue dans Windows.

Il existe deux types de fichiers de langue :

• Pack d’interface utilisateur multilingue (MUI) Windows Vista. 
Ces packs Windows Vista fournissent une version traduite de la quasi-totalité de l’interface utilisateur. Ils requièrent une licence d’utilisation et ne sont disponibles que dans Windows Vista Édition Intégrale et Windows Vista Entreprise. Si vous utilisez Windows Vista Édition Intégrale, vous pouvez télécharger les MUI à l’aide de Windows Update. Si vous utilisez Windows Vista Entreprise, contactez votre administrateur système pour obtenir des informations sur l’installation de langues supplémentaires.

Les MUI sont disponibles par le biais de Windows Update sous forme de mises à jour facultatives; elles ne sont pas installées automatiquement.

• Pack linguistique (LIP)Windows Vista.

Ces packs Windows Vista fournissent une version traduite des zones les plus souvent utilisées dans l’interface utilisateur. Les packs linguistiques sont téléchargeables

gratuitement et la plupart d’entre eux peuvent être installés et utilisés sur n’importe quelle édition de Windows Vista.

Étant donné que tous les éléments de l’interface utilisateur ne sont pas traduits, les packs linguistiques requièrent au moins une langue parente. Les parties de l’interface utilisateur qui ne sont pas traduites vers la langue du pack linguistique s’affichent dans la langue parente. Lorsque vous téléchargez un pack linguistique, vous recevez les

conditions de langue parente requises pour cette langue. Le pack de la langue parente doit être installé avant le pack linguistique.

Les packs d’interface utilisateur multilingue et les packs linguistiques se trouvent sur la copie authentique de Windows Vista.

Vous pouvez modifier la langue que Windows utilise dans les Assistants, les boîtes de dialogue, les menus et autres éléments d’interface utilisateur.

Certaines

langues d’affichage sont installées par défaut alors que d’autres requièrent l’installation de fichiers de langue supplémentaires.

Avant de pouvoir installer une langue d’affichage, vous devez accéder aux fichiers de langue. Ces fichiers peuvent se trouver sur votre ordinateur, sur un ordinateur de votre réseau ou sur votre DVD Windows.

Ils peuvent également être téléchargés sur le Web.

La section Langue d’affichage sera visible uniquement si vous avez déjà installé un pack linguistique ou si votre édition de Windows prend en charge les packs d’interface

utilisateur multilingue.

Ces packs sont disponibles uniquement dans Windows Vista Édition Intégrale et Windows Vista Entreprise.

In the unlikely event the OS is Vista Ultimate, you can download additional

language packs from Microsoft. (MUI). So no bothers there.

If it's Home

Premium you can re-install the OS using an English Vista Home Premium OEM disk,

if you can obtain/borrow one. You will however have to install all the hardware

drivers again from the PC supplier. Possibly not something to do if you're

unfamiliar with computers. You'll also need to activate the OS using Microsoft's

activation telephone service.

Maybe best to not go online until you have installed English version.

The same would probably apply to Vista

Basic.

(This info is from himself who just got a french laptop and did just that)

[quote user="woolybanana"]Perhaps it might be better to bite the bullet and learn the thing in French. Seems a bit stoooopid to keep to English if living in France, no?[/quote]

Not if you already touch type.

Microsoft error messages are arcane and frequently incorrect in English but you at least have a decent sized data base where you can find out what they really mean.  

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Not if you already touch type.

[/quote]There's the rub.  I can use the o/h's french pc no problem, but long documents come out as compete gobbledigood if you're used to a qwerty keyboard and touch type![:-))]  I have therefore clung to my UK one, in spite of attempting to embrace all things French the rest of the time.

Just a thought, if your OS is in English and you take it for repair in France, that's going to cause problems.  Himself fixes our computers, so needs it to be in English to understand the complex pooter language.  Both my PC and his laptop are bought in France but the OS (vista and XP) are in English. Although i have a UK keyboard, he is easily getting used to his French one on the laptop. Also i find technical software i need to be in English.  All depends what and how you use your computer i suppose and what works best for you. It all about personal preference and not who is being the most 'French' about it.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Microsoft error messages are arcane and frequently incorrect in English but you at least have a decent sized data base where you can find out what they really mean.  

[/quote]

Here's a tip for anyone struggling with a French operating system.  If you get a Microsoft error message, you can search on the French Microsoft knowledge base, and when the solution is found (in French, of course) use the Article Translation option to the right of the article to read the same solution in English.  http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&ln=fr&CM=Nav&CE=Nav2b

Archived