Complete France Forum

WiFi Extender

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I've seen a few of these now and a work collegue has one and says it works fine.

How much is this one?  I couldn't see a price on the website (or am I just going blind again!)

[/quote]

prices here Pierre :

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/bezugsquellen/preisliste.html

p

any wi-fi router will do the job.

We had a wi-fi router that we used to plug in to the phone socket in the UK, which gave us wi-fi for all our computers within a limited range. Here, we plug it into the orange-box and so extend the wi-fi range so now we can join the old network or the orangebox, depending on the location in the house.

[quote user="hoverfrog"]any wi-fi router will do the job. We had a wi-fi router that we used to plug in to the phone socket in the UK, which gave us wi-fi for all our computers within a limited range. Here, we plug it into the orange-box and so extend the wi-fi range so now we can join the old network or the orangebox, depending on the location in the house.[/quote]

Sorry HF I didn't follow that last post; I think Ernie was bringing to our notice a way of extending the network. Have I misunderstood your post?

My Wireless router worked fantastically in UK, I could get great reception right at the bottom of the garden (but I couldn't see the screen properly if it was daytime, doh!) but here with the very think stone walls I have trouble getting a signal 2 rooms away. The product Ernie refers to uses the electricity mains as a 'network'. Netgear also market a similar system. Do a Google for CPL. (courant porteur).

Sid

OK, but don't you need a phone point for the extra router box? I haven't grasped your setup properly yet [8-)]

The advantage of the CPL is that your pc can plug in anywhere there is a mains socket.

Isn't there some contention between your 2 routers when you have them both plugged in? Or are they just routers, not ADSL modem/routers?

We have a small gite and I'm going to install one of the 'CPL thingies' to provide internet access for guests; it'll be quicker than trying to run a network cable or a phone line over to the house.

Sid

no you don't need another phone point.

The livebox provides WIFI to the computers close enough, and it also has an ethernet port. The ethernet is connected to the old ADSL modem/router, which in this instance is acting as just a router as it provides WIFI and also an ethernet port.

Actually our setup is more complicated than that, as we have a third ADSL/modem/router that is supplied by WIFI from the second and gives net access via ethernet to a computer at the far side of the house that isn't equiped for WIFI!

There is no contention between any of the equipment - even in the zones where their coverage overlaps and you can pick which WIFI "network" to join!

The point I was trying to make, was that often people have an old ADSL modem/router knocking around (ISPs in the UK used to require you to get your own, and here all the packages you get include one) so by piggy-backing them you can reach further at no extra cost.

We had thick stone walls back in the UK, so one of our 'spares' used to be mounted under the eaves encased in what looked like a bat box and supplied WIFI to the garden - although I agree it's not much use when you can't see the screen because the light is too intense!

Archived