Complete France Forum

Canalsat France on Astra 1L

I will do some more checking next time I am there, happily being in the early days of romance I get sidetracked[;-)] and the telly is not a priority for either of us.

She had already bought an identical analogue unit and complained of only getting one fuzzy channel so I took mine to check, I havn't checked them both back to back (to see if mine now has its own fault) nor did I check that it was still receiving both channels when I checked its programming.

I will force myself to resist temptation and have another go this weekend.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update and thankyou to all who helped.

I bit the bullet and went on the roof last weekend, a change of LNB and realign and all is well, except for she now misses the regional news on FR3, I pointed out that it was still there on the antenna feed if she wanted to listen to it whilst watching snow as before but despite having virtually no picture for 5 months she is now used to having a good one!

Oh well up the ladder again (I miss the regional programming also!)

One interesting thing is that initially I only got reception of Canalplus (encrypted) and M6, when I twisted the parabole in all 4 directions the signal strength fell off making me think that it was perfectly alaigned. I then had a swing and about one degree to the East I found a strong signal for the other channels which gave a tiny bit of snow on M6.

Are the analogue channels broadcast from more than one sat in a cluster perhaps?

Well I'm glad it's working now.

It is odd that the small alignment problem was causing such a sharp drop in signal;  all the analogues are on the "super" beam of AB3 (with the same polariation too),  and you would think therefore that they'd all behave pretty much the same,   apart from some very minute variations due to the different frequencies in use.    Certainly what you have found negates my earlier thoughts and advice.

I've found the same thing,  but only on a much smaller scale,   ie that it's very hard to find one dish position for AB3 that clears them all with full quieting.   But my 80 cm dish is knacked,  and certainly I've never managed to completely knock out four signals whilst leaving two in reasonable condition!

So you've made a unique contribution to my knowledge.

No doubt microwave mike will be along to explain it all......

Archived