Complete France Forum

IE resident programme

I'm trying to install a programme which keeps stopping at a point asking me to 'close Internet Explorer and Firefox' before it will continue. Firefox is easy, but - to the best of my knowledge - there is no I.E. running, ALT+TAB reveals nothing. However Task Manager finds iexplore.exe not in 'applications', but in 'processes'. [end process] closes it for a moment but it reappears after a few seconds.

Anyone have a clue as to how to either overcome the halt, or close iexplore properly?

p

When I close Internet explorer it stays closed and is not present in 'processes'.

Some other program must be opening IE.

Save everything and try closing as many programs/processes as you can while allowing windows to run -  firewall, anti virus etc. just disable everything you can (unplug the internet connection to be safe) in order to install the progarm.

let us know what happens

Danny

Danny is right, something else is trying to run IE so got to Start/Run then type in msconfig and then OK

Go to the Startup tab and have a good look what's there, untick anything you don't recognise or looks like it may be calling up IE.

Difficult to be precise as it could be so many things. It could for instance be another programme you have installed which is set for automatic updates and is calling home all the time.

Looking on the black side it could quite easily be a trojan or virus doing this so be sure to do a sweep with your AV programme after you've updated it with the latest signature file..

Well, as usually happens, it sorted itself out.

Isn't one of the definitions of madness, doing the same thing, witrh the same parameters with the expectation of a different oucome?

Having posted the query I tried it again - having changed absolutely nothing - only to discover it worked this time. But thanks for the suggestions. No doubt I'll need them sometime in the future.

p

ErnieY - you really are a little ray of sunshine ! it's being so cheerful as keeps you going, isn't it ?

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]ErnieY - you really are a little ray of sunshine ! it's being so cheerful as keeps you going, isn't it ?[/quote]

Entirely up to you of course P if you choose to dismiss what could have been a very real possibility and pillory me for suggesting it, a tad ungrateful though.

Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst I say.

Happy surfing [:D]

Archived