Complete France Forum

satellite query

A local company (dept 71) have recently installed a satellite box (OPTEX I think) with dish so that I can watch BBC and ITV channels along with dozens more. I noticed the box receives sky channels along with Ch4 and Ch5 but these are all blocked. The installer suggested that I could unblock the channels by purchasing "something" from the UK but I am not sure what I have to purchase. Would any of the forum members be able to point me in the right direction please?

Thank you in advance for any responses

David[:)]

Don'd buy anything in haste,   there is at least a fair chance that ch 4 will go free to air later this year when their encryption contract with Sky expires. 

With the launch of the BBC/ITV freesat service (which in practice to you will make little difference) it is likely that some other channels will decide that FTA + advertising is just as profitable as encryption + small fee from Sky (to be part of a Sky package) so unless you're desperate for ch 4 I'd sit tight until further announcements.

Less clear about ch 5,  they may well not be brave enough to let go of Sky's apron strings.

David, The point you probably won't pick up from Cathy's linked thread is that the card alluded to will only work in a Sky box, and I judge that yours is a locally bought European digibox. Despite the EU's 'open Skies' directives, Sky resolutely refuse to allow the CAMs in their Skyboxes (the Conditional Access Modules: the bit where the skycard goes, and the associated software) to be used in boxes for sale outside the UK, so - for the moment - you are stuck with those channels you can currently receive. It is possible that Ch 4 (E4, More4 et al) will go free-to-air at the end of their current carriage contract with Sky, but less likely for Ch 5 as - I believe News International (Sky's parent company) is a major shareholder in ch 5.

p

Edit - you beat me to it Martin !    - aren't you supposed to be out in the April sunshine tweeking recalcitrant dishes?

No,   one tweak was enough!

Seriously,  we are packing ourselves up at the moment as we're out to Perigord on Sunday.   The pony leaves this afternoon.   Us,  two cats,  two technomates,  two dodgyboxes,  one DAT recorder (for the nightingales),  one laptop,  one hard drive,  and all Wendy's seedlings,  set off later this week.

Oh,  and your power meter is packed as well Gyn-P!   For which renewed thanks!

M

Archived