Complete France Forum

My computer keeps waking up!!

I have had Vista for 9 months now and although I like it and get on alright with it, there does seem to be a problem keeping in in hibernation when I leave it.

I have it set to got to sleep 10 mins. after no activity, this it does, but within 10 seconds it wakes up again! I think it has something to do with my BT broadband but I'm not sure what it is that's bringing it back on.

Has anyone else got this problem? or know what's going on, it drives me mad when I am working at my desk and it keeps shutting down and starting up again [:-))]

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]Just to narrow down the possibilities, have you tried unplugging the network cable or disconnecting the WiFi link?[/quote]

I am not very computer minded, so I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

When I had the new computer last Aug. I had a wireless connection to the BT home hub because my daughter could not connect her laptop in the other side of the house so we put the hub in the middle so we could both be wireless, this problem was going on then. since then she has moved out and I am now connected via an ethernet cable to the hub, no wireless now.

So my answer is: over the last few months the ethernet cable has been in and out for all sorts of other connection problems.

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

over the last few months the ethernet cable has been in and out for all sorts of other connection problems.

[/quote]

So it looks like the BT box isn't directly to blame. I've got a similar setup and don't have your symptoms.

I've looked at Help and found this article:

Unwanted wake-up events may occur when you enable the Wake On LAN feature in Windows Vista

It gives instructions for dealing with a possible cause of your problem.

To find it open Help and Support from the Start menu and type Wake On LAN into the search box. Then you need to click "Ask someone or expand your search" at the bottom left of the window.

When the next window opens click "Knowledge Base" under Other resources. On my machine the article you need is at the top of the list.

If you need help working it out send me a PM or an email.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

When the next window opens click "Knowledge Base" under Other resources. On my machine the article you need is at the top of the list.

[/quote]

Thank you for your time and help [:)]

When I get to this new window I don't see ' knowledge Base'  or other resources [:(] all I get is: HP. com- go to your computer model page and: Call- view phone numbers..... 

By the way my model is: HP Pavilion slimline with vista Home premium.

The last decent version of Windows Help was a long time ago. Nowadays anything more complicated than "How do I turn my computer on?" is hidden behind layers of dialogue boxes.

I've PM'ed you the text of the article. The explanation may look baffling but there are some instructions at the bottom. If it's not this then I'm stumped.

Good luck

Hi Jacqui,

As J.R. say's turn your mouse over, If you are working at your desk then any vibration will wake up your PC.  One begs the question why do you set it to hibernate?, the power saving is minute, just turn the monitor off.  I use Vista and was surprised that hibernate and screen savers were still part of the operating system, as the reasons for them went out many years ago.

Regards

Well Albert has solved the problem [:D][:D][:D] he's a genius.

He sent me the relevant info which I followed, that took me to the depths of my computer and hidden was a little box called 'only allow management stations to wake the computer' which I ticked and hey presto it went to sleep as scheduled and slept like a baby for the first time since I had it 9 months ago only now waking up when I move the mouse.

Thank you Albert you saved my sanity [:-))]

Also thanks to every-one who posted

Only one more thing to say: Why my computer??? Am I the only one? [8-)]

Tel,

Hibernate can actually save a lot of juice - it doesn't just blank the screen. Certainly on my laptops it backs up the entire machine state to the HDD and shuts down. When you restart everything is still as you left it after about 10 seconds reloading.

Even standby can reduce power usage considerably, although I've given up using it now.

[quote user="tel"]

Hi Jacqui,

One begs the question why do you set it to hibernate?, the power saving is minute, just turn the monitor off.  I use Vista and was surprised that hibernate and screen savers were still part of the operating system, as the reasons for them went out many years ago.

Regards[/quote]

I have always used hibernation, I have my puter on from 9.00 till very late but leave it for hours on end and occasionally have forgotten to switch it off at night [:$] when I am working on it, the 'fan' goes all the time and must use a lot of power so it is very reassuring to know it hibernates after 5 Min's and shuts down silent and I don't feel so bad if I forget to switch it off, which is a pain having to wait for it to start up again from scratch.

Archived