Complete France Forum

Hard disk ??? Wot hard disk ??

My PC (win XP) decided this morning that it doesn't have one of the disks connected. Normally it shows up as 'Drive :I\ External disk ', but today? Nada.

It's there in the bios, both as an auto and a manual detect, happily displaying the size, number of cylinders and heads etc, so I know it's spinning up properly.

Equally from inside Windows it's listed in Hardware manager as working properly, similarly if I go into 'properties' / 'hardware' in one of the other drives, it's listed there (Maxtor) just like the others, it just won't appear on 'My Computer' so I can't seem to access it.

I've tried disabling it and asking windows to re-install it, and it finds the actual hardware, and cheerfully re- 'enable's it, but it STILL won't show as an accessible drive....

Help !

paul

Ah.. Thanks for that: I remember now, I'd started to install Suse on that drive and used Partition Magic to make a virtual drive for it. In the end I aborted the installation (and the partitioning, I thought) fearing I would lose the exisiting data on it. Now (thanks to that link I discover) it's reporting "unknown partition".

Can I remove the partition without losing the data, do you think ?

p

For one awful moment I thought Partition Magic was actually siting on the missing drive, but no. I seem to have loaded it on the 'recovery' drive (I really must get some reorganisation and system going!).....

Stay tuned.... more at eleven. !

p

and later.... Working !! Thanks for the help I now have the full compliment of drive once more.

Archived