Complete France Forum

If you buy LSD, you may see more than the Tour de France [:D]

We have both Samsung and Sharpe LCD Tv's and both are really good. Probably the best thing to do, is go to Auchan or Darty or someone with plenty of choice and watch for a while to see which you like best. I don't think many makes get a Bad name these days, but I can vouch for the 2 mentioned. The only thing I would say is the Samsung gives more "red" in the picture. But it's all a matter of personal viewing choice. Take your flask and sandwiches and enjoy your day out watching TV in the supermarket!!!

We have a Hitachi plasma, which we brought from the UK, and it's brilliant.  We also have a Samsung HD LCD, which we also brought from the UK.  That's brilliant, too, but the sound isn't too good - a lot of internal vibrations in the set.  Using a separate surround-sound system, though, makes it superb.

Chris

Recently got a Samsung LCD which is excellent.  I use a separate sound system which I would do with any telly so can't comment on the internal sound which won't be good on anything with tiny speakers.

Would definitely advise not going for plasma (old technology, colour bleed like crazy, latency probs on fast movements, poor resolution etc) and go for LCD.  Samsung LCD screens are grown by Sony so nothing much to choose between them except price.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Would definitely advise not going for plasma (old technology, colour bleed like crazy, latency probs on fast movements, poor resolution etc)[/quote]I have heard this, but have never experienced any of these problems on mine - the picture is absolutely STONKING.

But I agree in principal with what you say as the LCD technology has now got ahead of plasma, which was not the case when I bought my LCD six years ago (if you try to watch from any direction apart from dead ahead, the colours break up and the picture is virtually unwatchable!)

6 years ago plasma was better than LCD and the sizes were larger as they (Sony) hadn't yet worked out how to grow the single large crystal for big TVs.  Go to a shop now and compare (properly adjusted) LCD vs plasma and you'll see the difference alright.

One trick that is used in displays is to either show cartoons or slow moving pictures.  They look great but the real test is fast motion.  When I wass looking for a set, I took along to the shops a DVD that I knew well with lots of action and asked them to play it.  One retailer refused (I walked out) but others were happy to comply and boy did it sort out the competition.

Pierre's advice is spot on.    Many of these sets look superb,  but ONLY on carefully selected material.

I have yet to see one amongst those purchased by friends that I would actually give house room to.   One friend,  having spent £1500 on an LCD,   accused me of having sabotaged it when she started to notice the artefacts that I had pointed out to her when I came to visit.   She's much more realistic about picture quality now.

I believe that there's a new LCD (?) technology improvement close to release now which is supposed to be a leap forward.   If it is as good as it's supposed to be I'll probably succumb this winter now that HD is FTA on satellite,   but in the meantime I'll stick with cathode ray tubes  (which is what serious broadcasters actually monitor the programmes on as they know full well how poor other technologies tend to be.....)

Pierre's post hits the nauil on the head. I was in Auchan yesterday, and they have a wall of flat screens all fed from the same source which was - suprise suprise - a cartoon, but even with this there was motion blurring and an incredible amount of picture noise on some of them from what was supposed to be an HD source. Like Martin, I'm hovering on the brink but have yet to be seduced. One thing I *do* know is I won't be buying a model with a shiny black frame (it was either LG or Samsung, can't remember) which I think is caled 'piano black'. It would faithfully reproduce the reflections from every lamp in the room and drive me mad in about 10 minutes.

Oh, and what's the difference between a set labeled "HD ready" and "Full HD" ? Anybody care to proffer a guess more likely than the technobabble produced by the assistant?

That's interesting to hear about the latest techno-leap, Martin. Care to add anything more, like a link, for example ?

paul

Whatever technology you opt for, you can be sure that something better will be along within seconds of your having parted with your hard-earned cash.  It's rather like Ernie's currency advice - there are two good times to buy : yesterday and tomorrow.

We have ours going through the surround sound system like other posters here too. Be good if

they made tv's without internal speakers, as I've never used the tv

speakers and thus save a bit more cash.

My advice on buying tv's, pc's etc is to buy yesterday's technology. It

is so much cheaper and pretty much does the same job. Might not be as good quality,

but when you have nothing to compare it against, you will never know. Also you just know if you buy expensive, in 5 years time it will be obsolete and you'll have to fork out more cash again. All tv's seem to be hd ready now and once you have it at home, the picture will be fantastic. Not as good as expensive models, but you will only see the difference if they are side by side anyway.

I am very happy with my non HD ready 42" plasma. I can't get HD tv anyway, so will never miss it.

That's interesting to hear about the latest techno-leap, Martin. Care to add anything more, like a link, for example ?

Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the details,   but I suspect it was a debate on DigitalSpy.   Presumably some "new" sort of crystal.   I made a mental note at the time that maybe this might be the improvement I'd been looking for....

Sorry I can't be more specific.

I'm not sure Martin, but you may be thinking of Sony's 'Organic Crystal Display'. It's supposed to be the bees knees. More economic to run as well, They've only got screens up to 20" working at the moment but given time......

Tim

Archived