Complete France Forum

When wiring a house Ethernet network, and making up my own plugs do I use 568-A or 568-B if I want it to talk to a standard Netgear router?

I haven't got enough spare plugs for me to find out the empirical way!

also can I use the blue pair and the brown pair for phone and adsl?

paul

You can use either EIA568A or B as long as you are consistent and are just using straight through cables.

568B is the current recommended standard

Max runs of Cat -5 cable are as follows

20 ft. (6 m) between the hub and the patch panel (if used)

295 ft. (90 m) from the wiring closet to the wall outlet

10 ft. (3 m) from the wall outlet to the desktop device

The patch panel and other connecting hardware must meet the requirements for 100 Mbps operation (Category 5).

Only 0.5 inch (1.5 cm) of untwist in the wire pair is allowed at any termination point.

The blue pair and the brown pair are not used for 100BASE-T so you can use them for phone and ADSL.  However, if you have a 1000BASE-T network you can't use them as all 4 pairs are used for the network

Thanks for that Pierre

I'll get on with a bit of gentle cable pulling, followed by some light termination work (anything rather than go back to the building work in the hot-as-hell barn!).

Since my Netgear router (WGR614FS) is the (erm..) hub of the system, is that likely to be using more than 2 pairs ?

Same question re computer ethernet boards?

paul

The WGR614FS is a 10/100BASE-T router/hub so its only using the 2 pairs.

My eldest boy upgraded my house to 1000BASE-T last year complete with re-cabling, upgraded LAN cards, the lot because 'it gives me an edge when playing games' Yeah right, guess who paid for it though!

Good luck with RJ-45s, that's a job I don't envey you doing.  Got a decent crimper? an ordinary pair of pliers just doesn't hack it.

Oh yes. Got the proper kit. Wouldn't dream of trying to crimp those patented plugs without one !

Your upgrade reminds me of the time when I first learnt to drive, I conned my father into going halves with me for a radio for the family car (in the days when a radio was an option), and then 'borrowed' the money for my half of the deal from him. I think I still owe him £14. !

Archived