Complete France Forum

Good morning all,I know this has been on in the past but they have contacted me and it seems such a good deal compared to my present france telecom and orange.Has anyone got a good reason not to change and the only query I have is the phones,they tell me I have to plug our main phone into their box and use wireless phones in rest of house.This is ok but we have a old house with 80 cms thick walls so it might not work and you have to leave the box switched on all the time i guess.The last thing is most calls seem to be free bar a few obscure coutries but how much do calls to english mobiles cost(our kids) any one advise if they had problems with this and any other pitfulls.

The box is meant to be ON 24/7, although I would strongly advise unplugging it and the phone before a thunderstorm.

Calls to landlines in France and in a large number of countries are free. Calls to mobiles anywhere cost.

Tariffs

Main info

I have been with Neuf for over 2 years without major problem.

For more info, type "Neuf" in the search box top-right of this page.

Edit: info link updated

Do take care - I could be wrong but that €29.90 may only apply to urban (zone degroupée) areas.   In a lot of cases the cost - if you're out in the country - rises by €5 per month.   They often don't tell you that until you start filling in the on-line form and they "locate" you.

Additionally,   note the huge cost of ringing the helpline if things go wrong (28 p per minute seems licensed banditry to me).

Some companies only give you the free calls if you ditch the France Telecom abonnement - you may be happy to do this if your ADSL is 100% reliable,  but personally I'd never go with a company that forced me to ditch FT in return for free phone calls.   We were with Club Internet (now part of Neuf I believe) and the ADSL phone line was a lot less reliable than the one that comes with our Alice box.   Even so,  I'd still not rely on Alice completely,  and would be very unhappy not to have the old fashioned phone line technology as a backup.

As I say,  how much of this applies to your Neuf offer I don't know,  but it's a few things to be aware of in the small print.

Incidentally,  there's no reason why you can't run new wiring from the output of your Neuf box to new telephone sockets installed round the house and then use conventional phones plugged in the new sockets fed from the box,  or a cordless phone plugged to a new socket in each "section" of the house.   This would solve any RF problems you have arising from thick walls.

Laters -  not sure which specific offer you're going for so some of the above may not apply.

[quote user="johnycarper"]Good morning all,I know this has been on in the past but they have contacted me and it seems such a good deal compared to my present france telecom and orange.Has anyone got a good reason not to change and the only query I have is the phones,they tell me I have to plug our main phone into their box and use wireless phones in rest of house.This is ok but we have a old house with 80 cms thick walls so it might not work and you have to leave the box switched on all the time i guess.The last thing is most calls seem to be free bar a few obscure coutries but how much do calls to english mobiles cost(our kids) any one advise if they had problems with this and any other pitfulls.[/quote]

Bear in mind as Martin suggested that if you want inclusive international calls, then with NEUF you will be totally dependent on VOIP calls (calls through the box)

If your adsl stops working (for whatever reason - box failure, line problem...) you will not be able to make or receive calls at all.

something to consider

I too think the 16 euros a month to FT is worth the insurance. That is why I choose alice for adsl - there is no obligation with them to give up the FT line to benefit from free calls - international  and France. This also applies to Free.fr

Danny

Thanks Danny - I couldn't remember whether Neuf were one of the companies that "forced one's hand" over international calls -  seems they are.   Club Internet didn't ,  and I think that the new annual contract Neuf tried to bounce me into also didn't,  presumably because of the old Club Internet contract wording.    But any company that tries to tie me back down for another year when the original one has expired raises my suspicions,  along with their refusing to accept une lettre recommandé avec acuse de reception even though it was posted to the address given by them on the phone.   Hardly re-assuring.

As Clair says - if it all works fine then it's great.   I must say that - apart from one unresolved issue over my start date - I'm very happy with Alice.   As I think you are.

The alternatives to Orange are the following:

Neuf

Alice (soon to be bought by Free, but still independent at the moment)

Free

teleconnect

there are some others tele2, darty, SFR and more

but those are the main companies. All the adsl-telephone-tv are pretty similar in general but there are little specific differences between all the offers. You will have to do some reading and comparing. I am very happy with Alice for various reasons - Free customer helpline calls, generally efficient when you do call, and as I said earlier no problem to kep the FT line and still have all the phone benefits. I was very tempted by Free but put off by their lack of response on the telephone and by email. Now Alice is soon to be bought by Free...

Danny

Additionally,   note the huge cost of ringing the helpline if things go wrong (28 p per minute seems licensed banditry to me).

Neuf have recently changed to a local rate call for customer service. I think they have also complied with the Government edict that means they aren't allowed to charge for the initial period while you are waiting for them to connect you with a human(oid) operative.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Neuf have recently changed to a local rate call for customer service. I think they have also complied with the Government edict that means they aren't allowed to charge for the initial period while you are waiting for them to connect you with a human(oid) operative.

[/quote]

That is right. It appears that Clair's main info link above is out of date - here is the one from the current neuf website

Danny

For what it's worth, these are my experiences as a Neuf customer of 8 days' standing.

Neuf box easy to sort out and no problems

I am non dégroupée so I pay €34.99

Line clear, speed exceptional, even on wifi

Cannot yet set up email (told it would take quinze jours by Neuf)

Have in the meantime set up an AOL email; problems initially but have been able to sort those by forum members' advice (thanks guys, you know who you are!)

Have had a letter from FT to send them their Livebox back; hated the bloody thing anyway as it never worked on wifi.  However, not sure now what cables, filters, etc it came with.  Will send it back tomorrow and hope I will have included all the "accessoires", otherwise, they have threatened to charge me €100.

As they have already charged me for 3 months' line rental when I didn't even have a line and have never reimbursed me, what's another €100?

Don't know if this helps but it's "straight from the horse's mouth"!

Archived