Complete France Forum

phones/ internet access

Please assume I have no knowledge on this subject. We have a new apartment in France, which we will be using for varying periods during the year. We now would like internet access, and think a phone is required first. There are phone points installed, but I don't know how to go about getting any phone we buy to work.

Also, having looked at France Telecom website, I see there is an option for second homes, with the option to have it switched off up to 6 times a year; does anyone know if this is applicable to our situation, having homes in UK and France, or is this just for 2 homes in France.

Thanks, Jo

Just as in UK you will have to ask FT to connect you up as a new customer and pay the €16/mth line rental. You will have the option to suspend it.

As for Internet that is a little more tricky as most ISP's will only sign you up for a 12 month contract which you cannot stop and start. The only ISP I know of who offer a 'sans engagement' package are Teleconnect who say that you can cancel at any time (note cancel, not suspend) but there are cancellation fees plus each time you do you will have to return their router to them so you would have to work out which is best for you.

[quote user="Quillan"]Another alternative is to have a laptop with Wifi and visit your local Mcdoos where they all have free Wifi apparently.
[/quote]

I don't want to high-jack this thread but!

We are a little way of even getting a phone line installed and eventually will get a 'residence secondaire' service, but in the mean time what would I need to get on line at the local 'McDonalds (we have one about 8 miles away and I am partial to the odd 'Big Mac'[+o(][:P])

I don't have a laptop yet but will be getting one for Christmas[:D], so what would I need? and more importantly how would I do it!

Advice from any one who has done this, and do all MacDonald in France have this facility?

You shouldn't need anything else, just a wi-fi laptop (and a browser), and if you are lucky it will just connect itself when you switch it on. But sometimes you have have to ask at the counter for the password or key to type in. I think they all offer free wifi, it is McDo's national policy. It does work, I have used it (so it can't be hard!). Sometimes you can get connected in the car park sitting in your car.

Happy surfing, Jacqui Too! Should perhaps mention one other thing tho' - at some wifi hotspots you find you can't connect unless your firewall is off, sometimes this happens first time you use a particular hotspot and after that it is ok. If you do have to disable it, don't forget to enable it again once you are connected, especially if you are going to be checking your bank account or something.

You can check if your local McDonald’s has wi-fi here http://www.mcdonalds.fr/graphics/restaurants-guide/find-restaurant/michelin01.html

– tick the box with the “M” with the circle round it.

Most new laptops have wi-fi built in.  If you buy one which doesn’t, you can get an adapter to make it wireless for about £20.  You may find other locations locally who offer wi-fi internet access as a service to their customers (or as a money making venture!), for example hotels.

You switch “wireless” on on your laptop.  It will then find any available networks and a pop-up on the taskbar along the bottom will ask you if you want to connect to one.   When you open Internet Explorer it will go to the venue’s partner ISP – follow the instructions (what you do will vary depending on whether access if free or chargeable or if you need to ask for the password).

[quote user="Ecossais"]

You can check if your local McDonald’s has wi-fi here http://www.mcdonalds.fr/graphics/restaurants-guide/find-restaurant/michelin01.html

– tick the box with the “M” with the circle round it.

[/quote]

Typical! my local doesn't have wi-fi and I'm not going all the way to Brive!

Never mind thank you for you advice on how to connect.

I have been looking into a pay-as-you-go mobile, only need it for 30 days at a time so that might be the way to go, just buy the doofa thingy and top-up, might be a bit expensive but I only want it for about 15mins a day

Archived