Complete France Forum

E-bay restrictions

I am trying to buy something very mundane, cutting heads for my rasor, from E-bay, they are expensive in the shops on both sides of the channel and the last time I searched there were many E-bay sellers, this time no results and I thought that I was going mad.

Then I did a google search which threw up several E-bay listings from sellers but my access was blocked to all of them "for legal reasons" as my computer is in France.

Is there a way around this as I have no internet access in the UK.

My E-bay account retains my UK address and I usually have most things delivered there, who exactly is benefitting from these restrictions I wonder?

If you are using Windows and IE, go to tools, internet options and click on languages. Make sure that French is at the top of the list if you want to buy from EBAY france or English is at the top of the list if you want to buy from EBAY UK.

Danny

Thank you Jane and Danny, it seems to have worked and toggling between the languages either produces a page of results or none at all!

I think this is a new twist on the old problem following a recent court ruling, before I wasnt affected like others as I had (have) a French operating system configured for the French language and an azerty keyboard and hence did not bother to change my settings.

The most bizzarre thing is that now I have removed the restriction I have found a French seller offering what I need at a good price, however when I click on the article I get the following message:

Unfortunately, access to this particular listing or item has been blocked due to a Paris commercial court decision that bans trade of certain authentic perfumes and cosmetic products on eBay because of French selective distribution laws. eBay is appealing this ruling but is nevertheless required to enforce it. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to comply with this court decision. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of the decision because of limitations on existing technology.

Now given that I can only find this sellers listings from my computer in France if I change the language options to UK first but cannot access the listing even when I change back to French first I wonder how on earth he is going to shift his stock? Perhaps to a french ex-pat living in England [:)]

Archived