Complete France Forum

Setting up land line for first time

Hi.  We've had a second house in France for 6 years but have never bothered setting up a land line (always used our mobiles at great cost!).  Id like to set up a fixed line now with wireless internet access and I know that we have a physical line running to the property from previous occupier but other than that have no idea where to start.  I've had a quick search on the forum but cant find anything very recent.  Any advice gratefully received.

Carole

[quote user="cazbag"]

Hi.  We've had a second house in France for 6 years but have never bothered setting up a land line (always used our mobiles at great cost!).  Id like to set up a fixed line now with wireless internet access and I know that we have a physical line running to the property from previous occupier but other than that have no idea where to start.  I've had a quick search on the forum but cant find anything very recent.  Any advice gratefully received.

Carole

[/quote]

Carole, the easiest thing to do is open a new line with FT. Best to go into an Orange shop. If there is a line physically there already, then the connection charge is usually 55 euros and line rental of 16 euros a month.  Once you have your line, you are free to choose whatever Internet provider you want - depending on availability. ADSL is available on most telephone lines but not all . The availability and speed depends mostly on how far your house is from the telephone exchange. The closer, the better.

Once you know your new number, you can enter in here on this page  www.degrouptest.com  where it says 'votre telephone fixe', click on 'tester' and scroll down to see what is offered by the various providers.

If you have the telephone number of a near neighbour, you could put that in to see what the results are. It may give you an idea but not a definitive answer to what is available at your address.

You may need some help with the various offers. Please post again.

Danny

Archived