Complete France Forum

Google Chrome has changed LF

Skype informed me that I had to install the latest version as the old version would shortly cease to work. Normally I don't like to install something new because it always leads to problems.

Grrrrr! Guess what?

Having decided to install the new Skype it then said that it would download Google Chrome first...at this point I just thought oh ****** it, just hit the button.

Posting on the forum has now changed. The message box is tiny, the smiley icons are now just at the bottom with no means of including them and I cannot include a quote.

When you wake up Clair, or any other kind soul, could you possible suggest how I might get the forum posting page working like it used to do.

This sounds very strange. Whilst I have not always immediately updated Skype I have never had any such messages. Was it a very old version that you were using ?

I recently installed v1.4.0.141 on a laptop and do not recall any mention of Google Chrome being downloaded, required, or an option, and why should it be. I was using that same version myself on this machine but having checked for updates found v.179 so downloaded and installed that, again with no mention of GC.

I think what I would do is completely unistall GC and Skype then download v.179 direct from Skype.com and reinstall it watching carefully for any mention of GC.

It sounds a bit like Internet explorer 8's compatability view feature.

Has Google chrome got a compatability view icon?

Some web sites don't display properly (this one) so need some help (compatability view). In I.E.8 it's a torn piece of paper icon to the right of the URL title bar.

You will have to forgive the short-term memory. I can't remember now what happened about the sequence of downloading Google Chrome.

What happened was that I received an email from Skype...and yes it was Skype.

Hello guita*****

Your version (Skype 2.5 for Windows) will retire soon. Upgrade to the latest version of Skype today.

Upgrade now

Skype 4.1 for Windows

Now is the time to upgrade to the new Skype

Soon, our oldest version of Skype, called Skype 2.5 for Windows, will be retired. It's important that you upgrade to the newest version today because once this version is retired, you will not be able to use it.

Read why we are retiring Skype 2.5 for Windows

Only by upgrading to the newest version of Skype can you get all the features you love, plus a bunch of great new features and even better call quality.

The new Skype may look different from what you expect, but it's been redesigned to improve and enhance your Skype experience.

Upgrade now

or open up Skype and click Help > Check for Update

Thank you

The people at Skype

-------------------------------------------

I seem to recall that during the process of installing this latest version of Skype it said something about G Chrome, so I just thought that as a friend had said that the Chrome thing was much better than the previous one there would be no harm in switching to it.

The LF posting page is also missing all of the editing functions so I can't do italics and bold etc. I know there are short cut buttons but I can't remember all of that stuff at my time of life.

If I uninstall Skype and start again won't I lose all of my stored info, like my contacts etc?

Thé, I follow the gist of your posting but not exactly what you mean. Please remember that, following the news today of the death of Al Martino, I remember his No1 hit when it came out in 1952....and I have only recently converted from the Sturmey-Archer 3 speed to trying to cope with 10 gears and with my short term memory it's tricky.

Archived