Complete France Forum

Well I've just done it....by accident. I kept being asked to update Abode Flash Player and couldn't manage it. Then suddenly I could, and IE8 seemed to come along with it. Only....it took about 2 hours to download it. Now I seem to have problems with just connecting to IE at all, it's become quite temperamental and sometimes just cannot be connected. It never happened before with IE7.

So, like the OP, I would say I am having problems with IE8 too.

Oh, and finally, I am STILL being asked to update Abode Flash Player.

And I thought that perhaps giving up on IE and having Firefox instead might be one answer.???

I seem to have lost the smilies too. :-((

To uninstall IE8 stall from Vista:

• go to configuration panel
  • go to programs, then uninstall programs
  • in the left-hand side panel, click on show installed updates
  • find "Windows Internet Explorer 8" in the list of updates and uninstall.

Thanks Clair (and Ernie a bit!) I will try that, although it feels a little like jumping in the dark and hoping the parachute will open!

Took me about 10 mins. this morning to get a connection at all with IE8, so it must be worth trying to revert to 7.

When my existing PC went flaky the other month, we nipped out and bought a replacement. In doing the inevitable updates IE8 arrived, and has been no problem whatever with Vista. The old PC, having found its feet again, is still running IE7 with XP. I did try Firefox a few years ago - but it objected to my ebay toolbar and threw it out! I resent that sort of thing, so Firefox went too!

Great link, Clair, couldn't be clearer. However, just one question (sorry if it is a very dim one and if it amuses experts!);

If I uninstal IE8, do I revert AUTOMATICALLY to IE7, or do I have to re-instal it?

I am concerned that I might end up in some kind of black hole, with no way out!

[quote user="hakunamatata"] ...  when I follow instructions there is no mention of IE8 on my list of programmes so I can see no way of getting rid of it[/quote]

Just a thought, but when you go to Control Panel and click on add/remove programmes and a new window opens ... is the box at the top 'display all updates' ticked? If it is not then you wont see the IE8 entry. Put a tick in it and see what happens then.

Sue

[quote user="5-element"]Ha ha ha very funny Ernie :-)) (now why is it that the smilies have disappeared with this new setup? Part of the great computer conspiracy no doubt.:-((

Blimey, "they" won't even let me do quotes anymore either...[/quote]

5-E, if you are using IE8 to view the forum, you may need a slight adjustment, as described here: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1639419/ShowPost.aspx#1639419

Found it tried to do it and now I have lost my tool bar with my email connection and lots of other useful things, tried system restore and for a while couldnt even get internet explorer, managed to get back but still no usual tool bar, going mad here

Archived