Complete France Forum

I have just installed a Canoscan Lide scanner. I want to scan documents, save them in My Docs and then cut and paste them onto a translation site. I have managed to save to My Docs but cannot cut and paste the docs as they are either JPEG or PDF and if I transfer them to a text document the French comes out with lots of 6's instead of accents HELP PLEASE. Another problem is it wont send emails via Gmail and I do not use Outlook Express

Canoscan is an image scanner, therefore it will I believe only ever produce images of whatever you are scanning. If you scan a text document, you effectively will produce a photograph of that document. There is I think software out there which will recognise text within an image and convert it to a word document as such, but I don't know just how good they are.

I don't know of any scanner that will email through web based email providers..........

That software converts text files to audio, not image files to text. It still relies on the source file being a TEXT file not an image. Or so I gather from their website pages......

Avec Omnipage 17, vous pouvez convertir un fichier texte en fichier audio, la technologie de synthèse vocale de Nuance permet de l’écouter.

With OmniPage 17, you can convert a text file into an audio file, the speech technology from Nuance can listen.

Edit:  You're quite right coops, omnipage 17pro will do it but at £300 ish.....ouch!

Source: http://shop.nuance.co.uk/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=nuanceeu&Locale=en_GB&productID=128221700

Sorry, the version I have just does text (but as I say it was free!) - I didn't read the stuff about Version 17 but you're quite right, it does audio files.  However, it will convert to any format you want including word.

http://www.nuance.com/imaging/omnipage/omnipage-standard.asp

Edit : What this does reveal is that the generic term for this kind of softwear is OCR (Optical Character Recognition) so I guess, o/p, your best bet it to google that and you may find something cheap (which V17 certainly is not!)

My partner uses OmniPage to convert scans to text documents. It is not terribly accurate and depends on getting the text absolutely straight in the scan (very fiddly with things like magazines) and also on the font used; some are more accurately read than others.  He has an older (full) version, so uses Jaws for voice-out.  Interesting to note that those two processes have been wrapped up into one package now. Thanks R&J.

If you were to put this converted text into a translation programme I'm not convinced that you would get much sense of the original.

OH has only used it with English text, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the character recognition for French.

As Coops says you are looking for OCR software. Just don't expect too much of it.

My advice is to learn to touch type, if you can see the original text clearly enough, because it's faster and more accurate.  However, I know that might not be an option for you, Hakunamatata. ...but maybe in the near future with reading specs?  I hope so.

Another thought: It might be worth ringing RNIB to ask them which OCR they recommend for French characters, and what they would charge since there are grants/subsidies if you have low vision.  They are amazingly helpful.

Best wishes with your sight and with French! [kiss]

Thank you all for your input. I have spent a few hours on this and the eyeballs are out on stalks but I have just discovered that the scanner has an OCR function! Now I will go back and do it a couple of times more so I can remember how its done!! Thank you for your kind words Ame. Just as an update I now have a prescription for reading AND driving glasses! I can touch type and I agree the translation offered by google is not brilliant, especially as I am trying to translate a new cooker manual!

Have you looked at Microsoft Document imaging ? It's pre installed with Windows I think, go to Microsoft Office on your program list, then Microsoft office tools and it's there (on my PC anyway) It must have been simple to use - I did it....I converted pdf s into a Word doc, it did take a bit of tidying up but as I understand it lots of OCR programs are like that...

[quote user="hakunamatata"]Still trying to find it Cooperlola, Its Faure which I believe belongs to Electrolux dont worry I will find it before midnight![/quote]

As there are so many people on here who would be delighted to help you, why don't you post a link to the Faure pages, state which bit is of interest to you, and leave the rest to us/them?

Go on, you know you can.

Sue [:)]

I have tried to find a site offering the manual in english but it has been impossible. this is the link to the Darty site and a description of the oven

http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/gros_electromenager/four_encastrer-four_classique/four_encastrable/faure_fm_601_x_inox.html

I only really want to know the method of using the timer. If need be I will just type it into google but so far the translation has been more confusing than the French!

I know how it is to struggle with eyesight Margaret so I have tried to translate it from the link that SD gave.

You use the "temps" button to access the time functions, you can set the "minuterie" (timer), "temps de cuisson" (cooking time) and "fin de cuisson" (end time)

To cook something for two hours to finish cooking at 16.00 hours you touch the TEMPS button several times until the TEMPS DE CUISSON flashes, then turn the thermostat until 2 hours comes up in the display.

Then using the TEMPS button you select the FIN DE CUISSON function which should flash, turn the thermostat knob until 16.00 appears and it all should work.

You should be able to make out how to use the countdown timer from the above.

You can ask me to translate some more this evening but for now my eyes are on stalks and I have a headache to boot!

Thank you Chancer and Sunday Driver, and everybody else|! I think I have at last worked it out (its age you know) I had an oven in the UK which you could program to start and finish when you were out of the house but it doesnt appear to be possible with this one and it certainly wasnt with the expensive Ariston I had before this which only lasted 2 years before it blew up! Anyway my pot is in the oven and the timer is set for 2 hrs - fingers crossed.

Page 10 of the pdf file above:

Electronic programmer

1. LED indicating the "cooking time"

2. Touche "Temperature" to display the temperature inside the oven

3. LED indicating the "end of cooking"

4. Touche "Pyrolysis" to initiate the pyrolytic cleaning function

5. LED indicating the "timer"

6. Touche "Time" to select the timer functions

7. LED indicating the "last time"

8. Level indicators of temperature

9. Display Screen

The oven works only if the current time has been set. Furthermore, the oven can be used manually that is to say without any programming.

CAUTION

In the absence of electric current, the scheduler keeps all data entries in memory for about 3 minutes. After this period the data is removed and will need to be again entered on recovery of electrical current.

Page 11:

Setting the current time

When the unit is connected electrically for the first time, "12:00" is displayed and the LED of "mise à l'heure" flashes.

[I]Be sure to set the time the day before using the oven.

To set the time of the day:

1. Set the time by turning the command "Thermostat "to position + or - by 1 minute intervals.

2. When the exact time shows on the display screen, wait 5 seconds: LED "mise à l'heure" comes off and the display shows the current time.
To change the time:

1.Press key "temps" several times to select the "mise à l'heure". The light will blink. Then proceed as indicated above.

[I]The current time may be amended only if the oven is turned off.

How to select an oven function and adjust the cooking temperature

For each cooking function, a preset temperature is selected automatically.

1.Turn the oven control to select the required cooking function. Whenever a cooking function is selected, the preset temperature appears on the display screen.

2.If the preset temperature is not suitable, turn the control to the position + or - to adjust the temperature by 5°C intervals.

After choosing the temperature, the oven starts to heat up and the screen displays the selected temperature.

Page 12

To display the inside temperature of the oven, press "Temperature".

Indicators of temperature

As the oven warms up, three indicators on the right side of the screen display will light up one after another, indicating the oven temperature.

When the required temperature is reached, a audible alarm sounds for a moment and three LEDs are lit.

When the oven is turned off, the indicators go out one after the other until the temperature reaches 40°C.

"Timer" Function

This function can also be used when the oven is turned off.

The alarm will sound at the end of the term selected, but the oven will not be switched off if it is in operation.

With this feature, a beep sounds when the set time has elapsed.

To set the timer:

1.Press "temps" key several times to select the function "minuteur". The corresponding light flashes. The screen displays "0.00".

2.Turn the
"thermostat" command to the + position to select the time required in 10 seconds intervals while the corresponding LED blinks. The maximum time is 99 minutes. The timer will start 5 seconds after the setting is completed.

3.A alarm will sound to indicate that the
programmed time has elapsed.

4.To stop the alarm sound, press any key.

Page 13

To change the timer setting:

1.Press the "temps" key several times to select the function "minuteur" until the corresponding light flashes.

It is now possible to change the
timer setting by turning the command "thermostat" to the position + or - .

After 5 seconds, the light goes off and the screen displays the current time.

To cancel the timer setting:

1.Press key "temps" several times to select the function "minuteur". The light will flash and the screen displays the remaining time.

2.Turn the "thermostat" command  to the - position until the screen displays the value "0.00".

After 5 seconds the light
goes off and the screen displays the current time.

To program the the oven to switch off at the end of the cooking time

It is possible to start immediately cooking and the program automatically duration. Proceed by following the instructions below:

1.Place the dish in the oven;

2.Select the desired cooking function and temperature, if necessary (follow the instructions under "Select an oven function").

3.Press the "temps" key several times to select "minuteur". The light will flash and the display will read "0.00".

4.While the light blinks, rotate the "thermostat" to the position to select the time. The maximum cooking time is 9 hours 59 minutes. The timer starts after 5 seconds.

The screen displays the selected temperature. To view the cooking time, press
the "temps" key.

5.When the cooking time is finished, the oven automatically turns itself off, the
corresponding light flashes and an audible alarm sounds while the screen displays "0.00".

(page 14)

6.To turn off the audible alarm, return the selector lever to position "arrêt" (0).

If you press a different key, the alarm sound stops and the screen displays symbols "--- °C". The oven is locked.

To reset the oven to zero, turn the oven control on the "arrêt" position (0). The screen displays the current time.

To modify the cooking time:

1.Press key "temps" several times to select "minuteur". The  light will flash.

2.It is now possible to change the setting timer by turning the control "Thermostat" to the position + or -.

To cancel the cooking time:

1.Press key "temps" several times  to select the "minuteur". The corresponding LED flashes and the screen displays the remaining time.

2.Turn the "thermostat" command  to the - position until the screen displays the value "0.00". After 5 seconds, the LED goes off and the screen displays the current time.

[I]The "minuteur" does not work when the oven is off.

Page 15

To set the oven to switch itself on and off

The functions "temps de cuisson" and "fin de cuisson" can be used simultaneously to start and stop the oven automatically. Proceed by following the instructions below:

1.Place the food in the oven;

2.Select the desired cooking function and temperature, if necessary (follow the instructions under "Select a cooking function").

3.Use the "temps de cuisson" to set the cooking time.

4.Press the "temps" key several times to select "fin de cuisson". The light will flash.

5.While the light flashes, turn the "thermostat" command to the + position to select the end of the cooking time.

6.The program will start 5 seconds after  the setting is completed.

7.The oven goes on and shuts down automatically. A beep indicates the end of the cooking time.

8.To turn off the beep, bring the selector lever to position "arrêt" (0).

If you press a different key, the alarm sound stops and the screen displays symbols "--- °C". The oven is locked.

To reset the oven to zero, turn the oven control on the "arrêt" position (0). The screen displays the current time.

To cancel the program, you must cancel the "temps de cuisson".

[I]The functions "temps de cuisson" and "fin de cuisson "do not work when the oven is off.

[I]To view the cooking time and end cooking, press  the "temps" key.

[quote user="hakunamatata"]Thank you Chancer and Sunday Driver, and everybody else|! I think I have at last worked it out (its age you know) I had an oven in the UK which you could program to start and finish when you were out of the house but it doesnt appear to be possible with this one .[/quote]

You can do it with your oven Margaret, if you use my translation and the full auto translation that follows you should find out how, if it is still unclear please post again.

PS I will increase the font size of my replies which might help

Archived