Complete France Forum

LED Televisions

Hi CJ

I asked about televisions on here a while ago, and was told the problem was LED did not go very big in screen size, but at the time I asked, I was told that this was not longer true, we are still in the UK, we bought a Sansung 37inch led telly and its fine, no problems as of yet.

ColinE

Thats an interesting article. I want to replace my old Philips when it packs up what with it being a tube although unfortunately its still going strong.

What I did find very interesting and something I never knew was that in reading another part of the same website about "Whats the difference between an LCD TV and a Plasma TV" I read that Plasma TV doesn't work so well at higher altitudes, is this true? Where can you find out about what these altitudes are and what the effect is. I currently live about 360M above sea level and wonder if this would blow out the Plasma choice for me.

The first article did make me laugh when it said you should ask the shop assistant which LCD sets have side or rear array lighting any clues how to ask that in French? Mind you I doubt you would have much chance of getting the answer if you asked in English at Dixon's. [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]What I did find very interesting and something I never knew was that in reading another part of the same website about "Whats the difference between an LCD TV and a Plasma TV" I read that Plasma TV doesn't work so well at higher altitudes, is this true? Where can you find out about what these altitudes are and what the effect is. I currently live about 360M above sea level and wonder if this would blow out the Plasma choice for me.

[/quote]

I have no idea if this is the case, but we are at 650m and our 42" plasma works fine [:)].

[quote user="Quillan"]

The first article did make me laugh when it said you should ask the shop assistant which LCD sets have side or rear array lighting any clues how to ask that in French? Mind you I doubt you would have much chance of getting the answer if you asked in English at Dixon's. [;-)]

[/quote]

"Saahdlahtin innit mate, nahtameen"? perhaps

Thanks for the replies, some very interesting articles out there especially about side lit or back lit LED's with, in a lot of reviews, the supposed market leader Samsung not doing a very good job because they employ the side lit versions. as far as OLED is concerned that seems quite interesting but with Sony OLED prices at about £2500, perhaps not for me just yet!!

[quote user="Quillan"]

Mind you I doubt you would have much chance of getting the answer if you asked in English at Dixon's. [;-)]

[/quote]

I think that you would have to resort to spirit messages. The Dixon brand disappeared from the High Street some years ago.

To the original poster - the LCD technology is quite mature and well tested now. Why not just go into a shop and look at TVs and decide what you like?

[quote user="Clarkkent"]I think that you would have to resort to spirit messages. The Dixon brand disappeared from the High Street some years ago.

[/quote]

Maybe so, but they still have someone on the end of an email!  http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/editorial/FAQ

<<If your question has still not been answered, please e-mail us at aftersales@dixons.co.uk (or go to

'Contact Us' under the Customer Service Menu) and we will get back to you as

quickly as we can.>>

Sue [:)]

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clarkkent"]I think that you would have to resort to spirit messages. The Dixon brand disappeared from the High Street some years ago. [/quote]
Maybe so, but they still have someone on the end of an email!  http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/editorial/FAQ

[/quote]

I think you will find that it is an on-line business. So there won't be any spotty yoofs to deal with, just very highly qualified Indian electronic engineers stuck in a call centre doing the job for peanuts.

Progress.

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clarkkent"]I think that you would have to resort to spirit messages. The Dixon brand disappeared from the High Street some years ago. [/quote]

[/quote]

I think you will find that it is an on-line business. So there won't be any spotty yoofs to deal with, just very highly qualified Indian electronic engineers stuck in a call centre doing the job for peanuts.

Progress.

[/quote]

Don't they still have shops at airports?

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clarkkent"]I think that you would have to resort to spirit messages. The Dixon brand disappeared from the High Street some years ago. [/quote]

[/quote]

Progress.

[/quote]

[/quote]And Eurotunnel Folkestone, last time I looked (August).

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clarkkent"]I think that you would have to resort to spirit messages. The Dixon brand disappeared from the High Street some years ago. [/quote]

[/quote]

Progress.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes - but you try convincing Mr O'Leary that a 42" Panasonic is hand baggage.

Archived