Complete France Forum

ITV1 on CH103

Have searched for this subject, but nothing seems to quite match.

Having got fed up with the Skycard reminder banner, we removed the card about 2 days ago and can get virtually all the usual channels, including Channel 5, but cannot view "ITV1 Central SW" which was on our Channel 103.  ItT just says "Please insert your Sky Viewing card".  BUT we can still get ITV1 London which is on Channel 993, which seems to have the same programmes, but is of course way down on our list of Favourites and so a pain when trying to plan viewing.  So my questions are:

1.Why can we get one and not the other, when the programmes appear to be identical?

2. Can I expect to get back Ch 103 at some stage or should I just take it off Favourites?

3. If I install a different ITV1 programme using the Add Channels mechanism, can I get that programme onto the Favourites list?

Chrissie (81)

Unfortunately without a card some regional programmes will no longer be available, seems daft but there it is.

So no, you won't get Ch103 back as Central SW region and although you can try I don't think you will be able to add it in by the Add Channels mechanism either. You would of course need to know the frequency/polarity/symbol rate & FEC for ITV CSW.

I think you'll also find that although you have CH5 at present if you have a power loss it will disappear and you will have to add it in manually.

The reason that some of the ITV regionals  (mainly sub-regionals) need a card is that space on Astra 2D has become very scarce,  and in order to make room for other things there some of the ITV sub regions were moved onto Astra 2A and 2B.    The problem is that on those satellites they have quasi-pan European coverage   (unlike 2D which is more tightly,  but not that tightly focused on Britain).    So the oh-so-precious rights people start throwing their expensive toys out of their expensive perambulators and ITV have had to go back to scrambling them,   which costs a fortune (paid to Sky) and is a pain in the **** for the rest of us.    Sadly your card is tied to one of the problem regions.

In theory I think that in the end a cardless Sky box defaults back to London,  but it could be a long end.   I'm a bit out of touch with the intricacies of Sky boxes now,  maybe someone else knows if the process can be hurried.   In which case you'd get London  (or is it Central) on 103.   Five might still be in the other channels category but again with some boxes I think 105 now defaults to the free to air version.....?    (I can't check as my two Sky boxes are in France).

Anyway,   you shouldn't lose Five from the "other channels" memory due to a powercut,  I've got stuff in mine that's been there for years!

Accorcing to the Lyngsat site. The following 6 ITV regions are broadcast encrypted on a frequency of 12402,  V

FEC 2/3 from Astra 2B. ITV 1 Meridian Sussex , Meridian North , Anglia West , Yorkshire East , Tyne Tees South , Central South West

The other ITV regions are broadcast on Astra 2D which is claimed to be more tightly focused on the UK and is therefore free to air and does not need a viewing card

[quote user="Martin963"]In theory I think that in the end a cardless Sky box defaults back to London,  but it could be a long end.........

Anyway,   you shouldn't lose Five from the "other channels" memory due to a powercut,  I've got stuff in mine that's been there for years!

[/quote]Yes, it is ITV London by complete default however, and I have never really understood this, for a carded box the default ITV region without a card seems to be that in which the box (and card) was originally registered and I do not know by what mechanism this information is programmed in or retained.

I have a couple of spare Sky boxes and if I run them up one defaults to Grampian and I forget the other, SW possibly.

I wasn't saying that manually added channels were lost on a power fail BTW, just CH5 if it had been kicked into life on 105 with a valid card which had subsequently been removed. I do this with my 2 uncarded boxes and then shove an old credit card in the slots to operate the switches at the back after which they then stay on Anglia & BBC E until power is lost.

Thanks for all the input.  I can add all sorts of ITV1 channels using the "Add Channels" route, but they can then seemingly only be accessed via the Sky Menu number 7.  And once viewing the channel, then you can't see what is coming on next by using the forward arrows.  And you can't see what is on all week as it doesn't appear on the "All Channels" menu let alone on the Favourites.  So what use is it?  Am I missing a trick?  Several tricks? It doesn't concern me too much at present as we can see what's on on the ITV1 London channel and use that.  But if we lose Channel 5, and have to add it on manually, I would like to know what is coming on in the future and be able to programme it onto the Planner.  Can this be done?

AND - if I put an old credit card or member ship card into the slot, are you saying I won't lose Channel 5 in the event of a power cut?[blink]

Chrissie (81)

I must admit that I don't really know what effect the dummy card has, just that somebody told me about the switch ever since when I have kept an old card in there.

Re the 'problem with your card' message though I'm guessing that whatever you have used you have put in the same way as you would a valid card and because of that the box is trying to read it. Put it in any way but - even upside down - all it is doing is physically activating a tiny switch right at the back of the slot so even a piece of thin cardboard would suffice.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I can get Ulster TV (UTV) region, I did get it till one day my Sky Dish moved and I have now moved it back but cannot get UTV, I can get almost all the other regions but as I come from N Ireland would like to get UTV. Can any one please advise me on the Frequency and Toggle Positions etc:

Archived