Complete France Forum

Moving our 'Internet' phone number

We plan to switch ISP from Orange to someone else -- possibly Free -- in the next few months. We use the Orange phone number (non-geographic) for all our calls. Does anyone know how easy (possible?) it is to move the number to the new ISP in the same way as you can transfer mobile numbers?

I'd also be grateful for any recommendations for a new ISP.

Hi, Chancer.

We have a land-line whose number starts with 02 (regional code), and an Orange (phone via internet) number whose number starts with 06 (non-geographic, like a mobile). We'll be abandoning the land-line to save money (and cut out all the telesales calls) and almost all our incoming calls from friends & family are currently on the 06 number, which is why I'd like to transfer it to our new ISP.

My Free service works a bit like this, my new number starts 0950 and finishes with my old FT number less the area code, however if anyone dials the old number it comes through to me and if I dial out my number is presented as the old FT number.

So I am guessing that in theory you should be able to retain it, if you choose Free then just type in your old number and tick the box saying that you wish to retain it and see what happens.

In theory, and the law states, that you can take either number with you.

In practice the operator's don't make it easy and some refuse saying that it is impossible. 

It's easier to move the land-line number. But some people having moved their land-line number  to a 100% ADSL basis, have then lost that number the next time try a different ADSL provider.

Best of Luck!

Archived