Complete France Forum

Will - Protecting your Computer FAQ

Will, I just wondered if you have changed any of the listed software in your useful 'sticky'. I have a new laptop and will be installing your recommendations, unless anything's changed.

Should I also always install all updates flagged up by the various software I have loaded - Adobe Acrobat for instance?

The FAQs are rather old now, and I no longer have admin access to update them. I doubt if anything has changed substantially though.

I merely moved a useful post to the FAQ section rather than using my own rather limited knowledge. A lot of people now seem to favour Avast as an alternative to AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials is a newer, pretty good, free program for protecting a Windows computer.

If the update genuinely comes from the originator of the program (e.g. Adobe for Acrobat etc) then I think you should, as a rule, keep the software up to date. Beware pop-ups that tell you your computer isn't protected. Such things, if you click on them, will try to load an infection rather than protection.

Archived