Complete France Forum

French Satellite TV reception in UK??

I have enjoyed 5 free channels using a 80cm dish/single LMB and an old analog box (we are in Whitley Bay). When the analog signal is switched off sometime soon, what kind of box will i need to continue viewing my french channels ???

Will i need to change the dish/LMB also?

Many thanks for help.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the easiest solution is http://www.fransat.fr/ a decoder will cost about € 99, Leroy Merlin and FNAC stock them but you may find them in other Hypermarkets and French DIY sheds. You cannot use a simple FTA digital receiver as the box needs a viewing card. You simple disconnect the old box and replace it with a fransat box. The alternative is Canal Plus / TNT Par satellite and involves realigning the dish.

'Simple' in the context mean a digital satellite receiver without a card slot. Until recently you could receiver every terrestrial TV chanel except TF1 without a Fransat receiver using one of these.

If you put your computer mouse over the blue underlined text in my first post and click the left button you will be linked to the Fransat web site which has a list of FTA channels which you will receive for no further cost is you purchase a a Fransat receiver.

As soon as you can buy a Fransat receiver which comes with a viewing card. As far as I am aware nobody supplies these mail order to UK.

Technically the channels are Free To Air rather than Free To View.

Probably part of a deal to with the rights owners of programmes to try to limit viewing to countries which the broadcasters had purchased rights for. Same set up the UK had say 10 years ago before BBC, then ITV then C4 then C5 went FTV rather than FTA.

Failing that 'The Answers Just Because" . The broadcasters are sendinging a n encypted signal and without a card in the receiver it will not decode the programmes.

I'm a bit puzzled as the OP had their answer only recently here

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2223829/ShowPost.aspx

where I and pachapapa explained about Fransat,  and I pointed out how easily it could be used in Britain on their existing dish.

Anton - you've got FTV and FTA confused.  

FTV = encrypted but without seeking a subscription as such,  but card required.

FTA = no encryption at all.

TNTsat and Fransat are FTV,   as was the BBC until 2003.   The BBC is now FTA.

But as you correctly say (and as I pointed out when answering the same OP in the other recent thread and I quote myself):

"This is not in order to garner a subscription,   simply to confine the use of the services to within the Hexagone."

Thanks all. Actually i am not too happy to watch french tv on my laptop or PC. Will follow your advice and get myself a suitable box. Thanks.

For the person (most likely a retired detective) who pasted a link to a question i had asked elsewhere, i don't ask questions for the sake of it. If i don't understand i ask the question and again and again until i am happy with the answer.

I could no longer ask those same questions on the other forum as i found out, when i got back from my holidays, that my password no longer worked. My request for a reminder password drew a blank. For the past 4 weeks I have tried to get to the bottom of it (ie. why??) but their moderators must be related to the largest bird on earth as my questions sent by Email remain unanswered.

Just found this information on the FRANSAT website....how relevent is this for me in the UK??

13. Pourquoi les chaines de l'offre FRANSAT sont cryptées ?

Les chaînes de la TNT par satellite sont uniquement destinées aux foyers résidant en France métropolitaine afin de respecter les principes de protection des détenteurs de droits sur les programmes. Le satellite couvrant une zone géographique plus large, les programmes de la TNT gratuite par satellite doivent être cryptés pour qu'ils ne puissent pas être accessibles en dehors du territoire de France métropolitaine.

14. Puis je recevoir les chaînes de la TNT grâce à FRANSAT si j'habite à l'étranger ?

Pour les mêmes raisons de respect des droits des tiers sur les programmes diffusés, FRANSAT est uniquement destiné aux foyers résidant en France métropolitaine. Vous ne pourrez donc recevoir FRANSAT que si vous habitez en France métropolitaine.

not really relevant...

if you can point your dish to Atlantic Bird 3 satellite at 5.0W and buy a fransat box and card (only available in France - but there is also mail order...)then you will have no problem.

there are some on this forum who successfully use a frensat box in the UK with no issues at all.

Danny

It's really NOT my intention to annoy our friend from Whitley Bay,  but here is the answer I gave him only a few days ago,  ON THIS VERY FORUM,  ....

TNTSat and Fransat provide the 18 TNT channels free,   but require you

to buy a specific receiver (from a range in each case) and to use a

decryption card,   which is provided with the receiver.    This is not

in order to garner a subscription,   simply to confine the use of the

services to within the Hexagone.

The cards are for an initial

four years for TNTSat and "for life" for Fransat.    For TNTsat it is

likely that the cards will be extended,  and/or replaced eventually for

a nominal fee.   It's likely the same will happen for Fransat,  

although the "for life" bit suggests that there might not be a fee

(although I'd be amazed if there wasn't a charge of say €20).

Both

receivers can very conveniently be carted back to Britain;   in your

case with the five analogues you'd be better off with Fransat as this

uses the same satellite as what you're using now  (ie Atlantic Bird

3).   TNTsat uses Astra 1 (which isn't a problem but your dish in

Britain isn't pointing at it).     Fransat is the more flexible service

in that the TNTsat receivers are paritally hobbled and many of them

won't work on any other satellite other than Astra 1.   An illegal

restriction imposed by Canalsat at the start,  now partially but not

reliably rolled back.

"They" will  tell you that it's "illegal" to take the cards and receivers out of the country;   just ignore them!    (I do)

I'm not a former detective incidentally -  maybe I should have been.

PLEASE ASK if this still isn't clear,   we really are here to help,  and it's nice when queries are sorted out.

I don't think you'll be disappointed ercid.

Two bits of advice

1)    We had a lot of trouble with the Starcom Fransat box when I was asked to install it at the house of an old lady.   We tried two (obtained by her relatives) and both were totally unstable.   Whilst the Fransat Metronics I normally end up installing are probably not that well made,   all five I've experienced are still working fine.

2)    When you purchase one,   I suggest you take it straight to the ACCEUIL of the shop and open the box in their presence.  Check

a)   that the batteries for the remote are still shrink wrapped and not already in the remote

b)   that the Fransat card  - which is glued to the inside an A5 sized explanatory leaflet -  is still shrink wrapped.    Difficult to explain,  but the leaflet and card are BOTH inside a bit of plastic wrapping whose seal should be intact.

If there is the slightest doubt,  INSIST that they find you another box.

I add this because it seems common practice for boxes that are returned (for whatever reason) to go straight back on the shelves - a despicable practice by the retailer.    You might end up with a box that has been pre-enjoyed and for which you don't know the master PIN.   This could be a real problem in the future.

Take care when you buy.

[quote user="Martin963"]2)    When you purchase one,   I suggest you take it straight to the ACCEUIL of the shop and open the box in their presence.  Check

a)   that the batteries for the remote are still shrink wrapped and not already in the remote
b)   that the Fransat card  - which is glued to the inside an A5 sized explanatory leaflet -  is still shrink wrapped.    Difficult to explain,  but the leaflet and card are BOTH inside a bit of plastic wrapping whose seal should be intact.

If there is the slightest doubt,  INSIST that they find you another box.

I add this because it seems common practice for boxes that are returned (for whatever reason) to go straight back on the shelves - a despicable practice by the retailer.    [/quote]

Very good advice, I have bought two sat recievers that were like that, I do this now for anything that I buy that shows signs of re-emballage, also mefiez-vous of things in the sales and fin de references.

Brico-Depot were debarassing Velux blackout blinds as a fin de reference, the blinds were the correct size but all the vertical rails (I checked all the boxes) had been manufactured 5cm too short, most of course showed sins of re-emballage.

I had a few frank exchanges of views with them  and as I was sure that they would go straight back on the rayon I left a note in each one for the next unwary pigeon, some days later I was lucky enough to witness the conversation between the next pigeon and the vendeur who faced with my note had to back down on his position of no refund.

Yes very important information thank you. I have found a demodulateur for €109 which should do the tric.

Terminal TNT TERBOX FRANSAT (TNT par satellite)

Caractéristiques techniques:- Alimentation : 90 - 250 VAC, 50/60 Hz- Tuner : 950-2150MHz- Viaccess embarqué

http://www.maisonic.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=fransat&ref=1

Yesterday Fransat put up an additional HD decodeur to the Aston Simba. I presume the TSF 4000 HD will be significantly cheaper than the Simba.

Can anyone help with price and fiche technique, there us nothing on the net except the Fransat pdf?

http://www.fransat.fr/_docs/Decodeur_TSF8000HD.pdf

PS I suppose it does not have two viaaccess Slots and is not potentially 3D Ready.

it seems to be not significantly cheaper at around 200 - 220 euros.... but as you say there is no real info around yet - even on the manufacturer's website, Servimat.

Here is one I found with no written detail at all and even if you click on the picture to enlarge it - no obvious card slot or USB port ....

http://www.achetezutile.fr/25708-758-FRANSAT-HD.html?PHPSESSID=52780217b546982b7b0684b9a8379b1b

Aston are due to bring out - in September allegedly - another HD Fransat decoder very soon called the Aston DIVA HD which seems to be also not really different from the SIMBA HD.

villatech DIVA HD

We have the Aston Simba HD and despite its peculiarities and temperamental nature - for anyone with time, you can read here (148 pages so far, not for the faint hearted) - is on the whole excellent.

I imagine that Humax may launch a Fransat HD model sometime. They already do a TNTSAT model.

Danny

List price €229 as far as I can see.

http://www.windil.fr/p/servimat-tsf8000hd-fransat-recepteur-tnt-satellite-hd/L1007278760565/

I acquired the Simba last week and overall it seems good,   echoes of a Digiquest 2000 as far as the menus are concerned  (funny how nothing much changes in 10 years once the mind set of a menu structure becomes ingrained).

Haven't tried the USB port yet for recording.

This lot tend to keep up to date with reviews of new arrivals,  nothing yet though as far as I can see

http://www.tvnt.net/forum/le-materiel-decodeurs-paraboles-accessoires-f69.html

Laters -  hi Danny,   you beat me to it as your post wasn't there when I started mine!

Thanks for update. Price more than expected just not sure what to do. The Amailloux transmitter goes numerique on 19th Oct when the local paysans will have to change, despite dual analogue/digital being available few have taken the plunge, so it is difficult to gauge the potential quality of reception. I spent yesterday afternoon trying to install TV Center on a netbook with a flash key, what a performance, The Pinnacle DVB-T USB key is now only recognised on the tower which is real useful with a stubby little aerial slightly larger than a tooth-pick inside 70 cms thick walls.

Cheers PPP.

Hi Martin

Funny how the picture in both our links show different items....

Best to wait for these to be available in the normal sat dealers sites, I think.

The Aston Simba works OK for recording via USB for me to a Seagate Hard drive with its own power supply.  Have you done the update of the decoder yet? latest version 1.0060 on the Aston website.

Danny

Archived