Complete France Forum

On line Banking - additional security

With the increasing risk to the security of on-line banking,   a number of banks offer software (additional to one's own anti-virus/firewall) that further protects log in details,  pins,  passcodes etc.

For instance Santander want one to download Rapport Trusteer (I think it's called).

My question is whether one of these safeguards (once installed) works for all bank on-line activity or whether each bank's additional security program is specific to that particular bank.

I ask as I have a number of on line accounts and a) it's going to get complicated if each one needs its own system and b) I don't want to install one system only to find it locks up all the other on line accounts.

Does anyone here know what the position is?

Thanks in advance.

[quote user="Martin963"]For instance Santander want one to download Rapport Trusteer (I think it's called).

My question is whether one of these safeguards (once installed) works for all bank on-line activity or whether each bank's additional security program is specific to that particular bank. [/quote]

Once Rapport is installed you can use it to 'protect' any site you want; banks included. A number of Banks have opted for Rapport.

Sue

In fact far more complicated than I could have possibly imagined.

On trying to install Rapport a message came up that it is incompatible BOTH with Avast and with ZoneAlarm.

Frankly - given that these are two very common bits of software - I'm speechless that the designers of Rapport remain in business.

So I can't install it.

Honestly.............!

(full explanatory text:   

Rapport is not compatible with the combination of Zone Alaram and Avast installed on a single PC.

Unfortunately this conflict is not likely to be resolved in the near future.

The reason for this is that the relevant vendors (Avast & Zone

Alarm) do not approve of the combination of these 2 programs on one

system, and so we are not able to have them comply with our

compatibility requirements.)

I ahve gone through the first stage of opening an account with Santander, the usual swapping around that those of us with savings are obliged to do at least a year to get an ever decreasing interest return.

I have done the firststage and got the confirmation E-mail but have yet to transfer any money (I usually do a tenner first as a test) , the OP said IIRC that Santander want me to install this program, is it an obligation? If so you have saved me from once again screaming in frustration at my computer.

[quote user="Martin963"]In fact far more complicated than I could have possibly imagined.

On trying to install Rapport a message came up that it is incompatible BOTH with Avast and with ZoneAlarm.

Frankly - given that these are two very common bits of software - I'm speechless that the designers of Rapport remain in business.

So I can't install it.

Honestly.............!

(full explanatory text:   

Rapport is not compatible with the combination of Zone Alarm and Avast installed on a single PC.

Unfortunately this conflict is not likely to be resolved in the near future.

The reason for this is that the relevant vendors (Avast & Zone

Alarm) do not approve of the combination of these 2 programs on one

system, and so we are not able to have them comply with our

compatibility requirements.)

[/quote]

Martin,

I have just downloaded Rapport to my Laptop running Windows 7/Firefox and also with Zone Alarm and Avast installed (both freeware) and it is running correctly with no conflicts.

I don't know what versions of Zone Alarm and Avast you have but mine are Zone Alarm 9.2.057.000 and Avast 5.0.677 Dont know if that helps.

STeve

[quote user="elamessa"]

Martin,

I don't know what versions of Zone Alarm and Avast you have ... [/quote]

Martin

I, too, have had no problems at all using Rapport with my security/anti-virus software. It has been installed on our various computers since last year.

Sue

Archived