Complete France Forum

Looking to buy a netbook. My useage is, to skype family whilst away, download podcats and audio lessons for use with students, writing up articles and searching internet, dont want to pay much more than 300euros, any advice, warnings reviews??

Thanking you in advance

Lollie

Hi

My daughter bought a Samsung netbook NC10 I think and recommended it to me, it has been and still is fantastic.  It has windows.

It has been with me all over Europe and Australia and New Zealand.  The battery is longer lasting than most netbooks.

Fine for skype.

Bought mine in UK - not sure how much in France.  Maybe look at Amazon.

Good luck.

WendyG

Me and one of my sons have Acer Ones and thay have been brilliant.  Long battery life (up to 8 hours if you go easy with the backlight) and lovely screens.

Other son has a MSI Wind which also is excellent, up to 10 hours life with the bigger 9 cell battery.

Wife has an Asus with the 10 in screen, if you tried to take it off her she would protect it like a mother lion protecting her cubs.  This one had Windoze as standard when it arrived but my son stripped off everything and loaded Linux which works very well indeed.

My Acer has Windoze XP but I'm toying with the idea of sticking another Gig of Ram in it and loading Windoze 7 as the MSI Wind has (I like Win 7)

My sons Acer is dual boot Android 2.1 and Linux which is really nice but I guess 99.99999% of people would never need

So, things to look for for very limited use like Skype and emails are

1. Screen - 10 inches is good.  Any less is terrible to use

2. Battery, don't get something with only a 3 cell battery, you'll be forever charging it.   You need 6 or even 9 cells

3. Don't buy a Dell

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Salty Sam"]Samsung NB30 Netbook is my preferred choice, and I can't fault it. http://tinyurl.com/6dndy8w    [/quote]

A bit dated but a good make, possible better current model Samsung NF310.[/quote]

A bit dated? Well, it has been about for around 12 months or so now, and still appears to be a popular choice!

Performs all the tasks I require, plus some I never thought a netbook would handle! In addition, the battery life far exceeds many of the newer netbook models on the market currently.

[quote user="pachapapa"]But if I was to replace my E1210 I would go for an economic Ultra namely the Packard Bell DOTU/ S-001FR.[/quote]

So, an Acer under a different name!

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Salty Sam"]Samsung NB30 Netbook is my preferred choice, and I can't fault it. http://tinyurl.com/6dndy8w    [/quote]

A bit dated but a good make, possible better current model Samsung NF310.[/quote]

A bit dated? Well, it has been about for around 12 months or so now, and still appears to be a popular choice!

Performs all the tasks I require, plus some I never thought a netbook would handle! In addition, the battery life far exceeds many of the newer netbook models on the market currently.

[quote user="pachapapa"]But if I was to replace my E1210 I would go for an economic Ultra namely the Packard Bell DOTU/ S-001FR.[/quote]

So, an Acer under a different name!

[/quote]

Changed my mind to a

dot U/S-003FR

DDR3 thats real speed with a SATA disk.

I bought an emachines netbook from Darty for €199 6 months ago & am absolutely delighted with it. There is a similar one in Conforama at the moment for the same price. It does what Lollie asks for. Link here

http://www.conforama.fr/produit_emachines-350-21g16i-w7316_pc-portable_470360_10001_10051_-2_10122_10132_328143

I've had my Samsung NC10 for about 20 months now and I'm still delighted with it so have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending it.

If forced to make one criticism it would be that it should really come with 2gb RAM not just one but it's an easy and cheap upgrade.

Battery life is superb and mine last's up to 6 hours even playing movies when travelling.

Top tip about the 6 cell battery BTW, many have bought what they thought to be a bargain only to find they had a 3 cell which will only last 1/2 as long. AFAIK the 9 cell battery was never offered as standard.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]"I always get a message 'your computer is to slow' "
Norman
Have you told Dell that they need to correct their message? Surely they mean too.[geek]
[/quote]

I believe they are consulting their "attornies" on the matter as to a change in their "policys" regarding messages.[:-))]

Archived