Complete France Forum

Cheap new computer choice

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]I don't see why, Pacha.  I know it's unfashionable but Linux's critics are mostly those who have never used it.  It's much better than you think and so nice [/quote]

Exactly my point, if you dont see why...then in my opinion you need counselling. Miners dont worry about fashion. I have used it. No it is worse than you think I think. But using other peoples thoughts to support your argument is not even hearsay.[;-)]

[/quote]

So just because you don't have the ability to configure and make something work properly, doesn't mean other people have the same problem. And after all it's only your opinion, so have the courtesy to let others have theirs without resorting to silly comments about "needing counselling".

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]I don't see why, Pacha.  I know it's unfashionable but Linux's critics are mostly those who have never used it.  It's much better than you think and so nice [/quote]

Exactly my point, if you dont see why...then in my opinion you need counselling. Miners dont worry about fashion. I have used it. No it is worse than you think I think. But using other peoples thoughts to support your argument is not even hearsay.[;-)]

[/quote]So just because you don't have the ability to configure and make something work properly, [/quote]

Thank you for that eloquent affirmation of my abilities![:$]

I guess the point is that at the end of the day every computer operating system (OS) has its own problems. If you work your more likely to come across Windows more than any other OS and thus many will use the same at home. Apple has always been linked to people working in the media industry and goes back years to early desktop computerised print systems where the printers used Postscript, Windows couldn't do this. Microsoft has also been quite canny, people tend to stick with the same OS they came across when they first used a computer. Microsoft learn't this from the old days when IBM, DEC, Prime etc used to give mainframe and mini comuter systems to universities and colleges. Nothing to do with being generous but the fact that when people left and went to a company and needed a computer they would buy one who'e operating system they knew. Microsoft gives software away like they used to and then for students at home have always offered student reductions where you can for instance buy a copy of MS Office for a quarter of the price a company or individual would pay.

Unix has also been around for years and has been used a lot for application servers and then of course for Internet servers. The problem was that it didn't have a good GUI interface for a long time but now several people have written such interfaces.

If you don't need to transfer data too much and basically only use a computer at home and are not in to games than I personally would encourage people to try different OS's out till they find one that they prefer and feel comfortable with. The only problem I see with Open Office is that unless you save files in a common format like RTF for documents you have a problem sending things to people with Windows applications like Word because with more complicated documents (like those containing formula) RTF can't support the them. Having said that Microsoft also has it's own compatibility problems between it's own software, Works is an example, you can't read documents from Works in it's native format unless you install a 'plug-in' to Word. You can get a third party plug-in to read native Open Office documents of course but it's something else you have to find and install.

There is a lot of paranoia also about Windows and virus's not to mention Firewalls. You don't need to run a Firewall inside a home network that uses an ADSL router because the router has a DMZ and everything on the home network side uses an IP address that starts with 192.168.x.x which cannot been seen on the Internet. Look at it this way, if you have an Orange LiveBox in default mode, which most leave it in, it will automatically issue the same IP address to everyone's computer who has a LiveBox and there must be hundreds of thousands of people with the same IP address in France. What you really have to protect against is loading a program that takes control of your computer, the type you see as an attachment to an email. Unfortunately since Apple stopped using the Motorola CPU's and went to Intel ones they are not protected against these type of programs either as they work in machine code (unique to the CPU) regardless of what OS you are using. With UNIX type machines there may not be so many viruses around but they can still be hacked, the truth is the UNIX hackers are not interested in desktop and Laptop machine but servers where they can cause much more damage but don't kid yourself that your not vulnerable with a UNIX/Linux based machines because you are, it's just the hackers of these OS's are after much bigger things than you.

As to Acer, well they have been around since the late 1970's and for a long time produced component parts for companies like IBM etc, things such as motherboards. Brother and Lexmark printers (and Toshiba printers for a while) for instance were mainly constructed by Acer. Not until the late 90's did they start to produce their own Laptops and PC's. They are, if you forget about their direct branding, one of the largest manufactures of motherboards etc in the world out pacing companies such as Toshiba and NEC and are actually something like the 5th or 6th largest computer manufacturer in the world. Obviously, from reading here, their own PC and Laptop build quality is not as good judging by the amount of failures. I had one of their own Laptops years ago, it was a company machine and was quite good but then the company started buying Toshiba's for Laptops and Compaq for desktops and servers I got a Tosh and never looked back.

Quillan,

your advice is very sound.

I am not trying to be nitpicking.....[:)] but in Open Office, you can save and work with documents in all the common Microsoft formats like .docand .xls etc.

Even the recent .docx files open no problem.

I am sure there will be some limitations/ compatibility issues but it is fine (and free!) for most simple documents - letters, spreadsheets etc.

here for example

Danny

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="NickP"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]So just because you don't have the ability to configure and make something work properly, [/quote]

Thank you for that eloquent affirmation of my abilities![:$][/quote]

Your welcome, it's always a pleasure to help the narrow minded. [:D]

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="NickP"][quote user="pachapapa"]

Thank you for that eloquent affirmation of my abilities![:$][/quote]

Your welcome, it's always a pleasure to help the narrow minded. [:D]

[/quote][IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/rolling.gif[/IMG]

Archived