Complete France Forum

Mobile phones, navigation, and internet services in France

Hi - We will be moving to France later this year and I am trying to figure out the best service to use for our mobile phones (including navigation) and internet service for our computers. We will want to be able to call and text frequently with the U.S. on our mobiles. I am also trying to figure out how much to budget for these services. Does anyone have any information to help me?

I never found a cheap way to text the States. I was on a PAYG rather than contract and it cost 28c a text to send and then at the other end in the US, it would cost about 20c for the recipient to receive it. It's a real rip off.

Internet access, all are much of a muchness, and you can expect to pay around €40 a month, but you can get unlimited international calls included with that, so that kind of negates expensive texting. That €40 includes all your phone calls within France as well.

We have a Budget telecom deal which gives Broadband Internet in France and free calls to USA, Australia & UK for 30 Euro a month. Slightly off thread for someone from the States, but I have a UK orange mobile, and if you sign up (free) onto their UK website you get 30 Free texts a month which you send via your computer, but comes out on the receivers mobile as if from your phone. It's possible of course that other providers do similar, so might well be worth checking out.

With Orange and via your Internet, land line phone and TV subscription package you can send SMS and MMS messages for a flat fee of €0.17.

I found Internet access via a mobile phone very expensive in France. My Nokia uses the Internet to calculate routes then download them for the navigation software that comes with it. Gave me quite a shock when I tried it out and the first bill arrived. I only used it for about 10 minutes and my bill went from 16 Euros to 29 Euros. I downloaded "Garmin Mobile XT" which runs internally instead. Having said that I only use it for a backup, I use my TomTom most of the time, much better in cities as it does not always need a GPS signal to work.

Archived