Complete France Forum

After a number of failed attempts at getting wifi to work in every part of our chateau and three other buildings I have cracked it.

I brought a couple of DEVELO home plugs they carry the internet signal via your homes electric wiring. ( One plug must be connected in to your in coming internet router )

Plug the DEVELO unit in to any wall plug then run a ethernet cable from the home plug to a N rates wireless router hey presto internet in every building.

I tried the Netgear wireless plugs they were rubbish better to have an independent router for better and faster signal.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I use one of these, finding 54 mb sufficient.

http://www.hercules.com/fr/wifi/bdd/p/64/hercules-station-relais-wifi-hwgext-54-/

My CPL is D-Link, hard to beat at € 30 on promo at Leclerc.

[/quote]

Doesn't work with Livebox's, the web is littered with people on forums complaining about this. Still you pays your money (£15 in the UK) and you takes your chances.

It seems to me extraordinary that when I have stated that I use a D-link CPL as the first leg of my connection; you should both assume that SOMEHOW I continue with a "Relais" rather than a "point d'accés".

Does the Relay talk telepathically to the bare RJ45 socket.

[IMG]http://www.hercules.com/thumb/?q=95&w=900&h=600&src=/data/inetpub/www.hercules.com/fichier/h_photo/254/photo_file_fr_hercules_station_relais_scheme_fr2.jpg&f=jpeg&bg=FFFFFF[/IMG]

I was talking about the Relay box, apparently if you have an Orange Livebox you get problems of not connecting, the reason for this it it can't talk to the Livebox to get the information it requires to relay the parameters on. The benefit of a relay, when setup correctly, is it pass everything on and makes the network seamless. If you use multiple access points you can get problems if you can't get them to talk to each other especially if there are 'overlapping' areas because most access points have a DHCP server built in and your IP address automatically has to change as you move from one 'zone' to another. The best bet is to turn the DHCP server off on every box and let the router that they are connected to issue IP address's but then not every access point will relay this information on.

The other 'issue' as Another pointed out is using this in a commercial environment. If you have too many people accessing the network the speed will be divisible by the number of units (unless its a switched mux network but you will still see a speed reduction although not by so much). The bottleneck will be the Internet connection speed, if you have 2mb and have two people using it at exactly the same time then it will  run at 1mb, if you have four then 500kb each etc. I know it does not work out exactly like this in practice because people are not always downloading at the same time but the network will run slower.

A Relay Box struggles to get through my 80 cms thick walls.

I would need at least 6 of them, there are cheaper and better alternatives.[:)]

But I do appreciate the problems of a LiveBox; the immolation and suicide rate seems to have left some unresolved software issues amongst the skeletons in the cupboard.

[quote user="Chancer"][quote user="Quillan"]

The other 'issue' as Another pointed out is using this in a commercial environment. [/quote]

This forum aint big enough for Another Chancer!! [:)]

[/quote]

Ooops sorry about that. [:(]

Archived