Complete France Forum

Was in a computer shop looking at all in one dektop pc's like the imac. Discovered they're mostly touch screen and had a go and it looks pretty awesome even if it is Win 7.

Does the latest imac support this touch screen technology? Had anyone any experience of it? For the type of work I'm looking at doing, I think it would be the ultimate interface.

Why would you want fingermarks all over the screen?  It's what I hate about those silly phones - they look grotty within weeks so you get conned into buying expensive bits of clingfilm to stop them getting marked.

When I learnt to type years ago, we were always taught to place the keyboard below the level of our elbows - so that they were bent to more than 90 degrees.  This was considered to be far better for your back and shoulders if you spent a long time at a keyboard.  I've always stuck to this (high chair, lowered keyboard shelf) and found it very comfortable.  The idea of reaching up to the screen to input stuff just seems batty to me.

I agree completely, I don't want to keep touching the screen.

I don't know if it's still the case but a while back HP were having trouble with the screens because oils etc from fingertips would etch into the screen over time.  Probably solved that one now......or maybe not

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I agree completely, I don't want to keep touching the screen.
I don't know if it's still the case but a while back HP were having trouble with the screens because oils etc from fingertips would etch into the screen over time.  Probably solved that one now......or maybe not
[/quote]

Solved as in use a solution to wipe out stains?[:D][:P]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Why would you want fingermarks all over the screen?  It's what I hate about those silly phones - they look grotty within weeks so you get conned into buying expensive bits of clingfilm to stop them getting marked.

When I learnt to type years ago, we were always taught to place the keyboard below the level of our elbows - so that they were bent to more than 90 degrees.  This was considered to be far better for your back and shoulders if you spent a long time at a keyboard.  I've always stuck to this (high chair, lowered keyboard shelf) and found it very comfortable.  The idea of reaching up to the screen to input stuff just seems batty to me.

[/quote]

The bits of clingfilm for phones cost less than a euro, so not too expensive.

In retrospect, I think it's just a gimmik. With these pcs you still have a keyboard and mouse, but you can also use the screen. I don't think it would be ergonomic, but thought for graphic design work, it might work. Probably only would if the screen was lower than your hands, which is impractical.

I'm back on the idea of the imac.

Our iMac with our Wacom bluetooth graphics tablet is about as good as I can think of, plus the Magic Mouse of course! I can do everything that I can think of and I have the choice of either a mouse or a pen on the tablet! The tablet is a very accurate pointer with the pen, the mouse is the same as every mouse and while you are doing your stuff with the tablet you can scroll, page back and forward and navigate in web pages and photos with the Magic Mouse.

Best of all worlds for me[8-|][8-|]

As for protecting the screens on my Canon 500d camera, iPod touch and a couple  of other things I have these http://www.zagg.com/ . Great stuff if you have things you want to protect! They just wipe off, no sweat!

[quote user="cooperlola"]It's what I hate about those silly phones - they look grotty within weeks so you get conned into buying expensive bits of clingfilm to stop them getting marked.[/quote]A touch of the Luddite peeking out there Coops [Www]

Finger prints, yes, but a quick wipe on a T shirt or trouser leg soon cleans them off and they are more resilient than you give them credit for. My unprotected original (2007) iPhone had been kicking around in pockets/bags/cars since it was new and the screen has yet to to suffer it's first actual scratch of any significance.

In any case you only notice the marks when the screen is off, once it's lit up you just don't notice them.

Have my doubt's about a touch screens though. I have two at work but they are rack mounted for industrial control applications not PC's. OK for that and tablets like the iPad and clones but not for the SOHO environment.

Archived