Complete France Forum

Mobile phone glitch?

Just had a worrying problem with our SFR mobile.  Have had our land line forwarded to it for a week as were expecting some important calls while we were away.  All was very quiet the last 24 hours or so.  On our return found that people had recently been unable to contact us - when dialling the land line they got a blank response and when dialling the mobile they got number non-attribué.  Experimenting with various phones we got the same responses, EXCEPT for our UK mobile, which got through to the SFR mobile OK, using the usual international code.  We undid the forwarding and our home phone works fine.   I was all geared up to go down to SFR this morning, but the mobile now seems to have fixed itself!

Now feeling very uneasy.  Anyone else had this problem?  Is it likely to happen again?  Is it something to do with the call fowarding (which I want to do again next week)?  Clearly there is no point now in going to SFR as they won't believe me unless the phone is actually playing up.

Chrissie (81)

Sounds to me as if the problem is with the fixed phone provider and the forwarding.

I had this option enabled while I was in hospital and most calls came through fine, except faxes and anonymous calls , both of which I was glad to do without.

I am with Free.fr, and can switch the forwarding on or off on their website..

What make/model phone is it?

I only ask because I used to get similar problems with a not-so-smart-phone (Qtek) and the only way around this was to do a reset.

Mostly this cured its problems but of course lost all the settings (contacts were OK as they were on the SIM card)

It became such a pain that I stopped using it, its in a drawer somewhere if anybody wants it - for free!

Suggest you complain to SFR now, before your next bill arrives. It may be possible your land phone stayed connected to your mobile after it tried to transfer a call, which could mean a large bill.

I had a new (Spanish Telefonica) mobile which apparently stayed connected to our house phone for hours even though only the machine had answered.

I cancelled the contract and also have 2 new phones in their boxes for free.

We have Orange at home but an SFR phone. Because of being a B&B I have all calls forwarded to my mobile if not answered at home rather than going to the voice mailbox. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and not had a problem (well not so far, guess I will now having said the above [:(] ).

I'd be inclined to agree with Norman. When a caller rings your landline and the call is forwarded to another number, the forwarded call is billed to your landline, so from your exchange onwards it would presumably be in the care of One Tel. So I'm imagining that the call would come in via FT and try to continue its journey via One Tel, and maybe that doesn't work.

Do you know someone with FT in and FT out who could temporarily divert calls to your mobile, to establish whether the mobile works with that set-up?

No, we don't have a messagerie on our landline.  What I find so puzzling is that the forwarding worked perfectly for about 6 days.  Whenever a call was forwarded, the mobile phone's screen came up with "forwarded call".  As everyone says, it should be interesting to see our next FT bill/One-Tel bill. (And from those bills we should be able to figure out which network is charging us for them.  Knowing my luck, probably both!!!  [blink] )

Chrissie (81)

Archived