Complete France Forum

Movies on a Netbook

There was a thread on here a few weeks back about the battery life of Netbooks and somebody (I think it was AnO) suggested downloading movies onto the hard drive rather than carting a battery-draining and bulky external DVD drive about with them.  How exactly do you achieve this?  I have got hundreds of DVDs but none allows for downloading with one exception, so I'm stuck with the cumbersome option.  Short of shelling out money to buy duplicates on line, is there a legal way to do this with the stuff I've already paid for?

[quote user="Théière"]Do you mean copying from the DVD drive to the hard drive?[/quote]Yes, that would do.  I have tried this but so far the copyright restrictions just seem to kick in and stop me.  Quite different from music CDs which transfer easily to MP3 players/computers etc.

I have Windows Home Server with something like 600 films now on it. Having played with most of the free software and reading a lot of reviews I opted for Magic DVD Ripper which OK you have to pay for but it is very good. It keeps the Dolby and DTS audio format as well as subtitles.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will play around with these ideas.  I don't want to break any laws but do somewhat resent being unable to watch stuff I've bought legitimately wherever I wish, without carrying a bundle of DVDs and an external drive or dedicated player around with me. 

It is currently illegal to 'rip' DVD's which is why Windows Media Player won't allow you to do it. However in the US and UK there is some movement as many lobbyists have said that the law is outdated. The news laws in the UK and US (expected in 2012) will allow you to rip DVD's if you own them and for personal use only.

The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has for a long time ferociously fought the legislation. However the large amount of DVD ripping software available, both free and for sale and their inability to get it all banned shows they are on a loosing wicket. If you want to learn more and see whats going on then try googling "law on ripping DVDs". I would hasten to add that I only rip my own DVD's and if I get caught then that's my problem.

I have no idea by the way what will happen in France. My guess is that once the MPAA looses it's fight and the law changes next year in the US then Europe (and probably the world) will follow.

Exactly Quillan - this thinking is in line with mine.  I don't mind paying for movies - in fact I expect to as they have to be funded somehow - but once I've paid then I should be able to choose where I watch them, as I do when I listen to music.  In theory I shouldn't watch Region 1 stuff as the player has to be chipped but I do.  Once I've parted with money then I've honoured my obligation as far as I am concerned.

Another thing which winds me up are legitimately purchased DVDs which regail me with warnings about buying pirated stuff.  I'm one of the good guys so why get angry at me?

[quote user="cooperlola"] Another thing which winds me up are legitimately purchased DVDs which regail me with warnings about buying pirated stuff.  I'm one of the good guys so why get angry at me?[/quote]

Absolutely, especially when you can't skip, or tick a box saying I've seen this please don't show me again, the least that could be done, afterall I've paid for a legitimate copy, and then it's compounded by some crumby trailers I'm not interested in either.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Rip it with DVDShrink on your PC with a DVD slot.

Then load the ripped file on to a USB key and read it direct from the USB or transfer from USB to HDD of netbook;

http://lifehacker.com/208866/hack-attack-one+click-dvd-rips

[/quote]For the record and in case anybody else tries this, Pacha, I'm afraid that AVG went into overdrive when I tried to download this one as it seemed to carry a Trojan with it.

On to Quillan's one now.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="pachapapa"]

Rip it with DVDShrink on your PC with a DVD slot.

Then load the ripped file on to a USB key and read it direct from the USB or transfer from USB to HDD of netbook;

http://lifehacker.com/208866/hack-attack-one+click-dvd-rips

[/quote]For the record and in case anybody else tries this, Pacha, I'm afraid that AVG went into overdrive when I tried to download this one as it seemed to carry a Trojan with it.

On to Quillan's one now.

[/quote]

Really seems OK to me at

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvdshrink/

At least with Microsoft Security Essentials Beta version 4.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Magic DVD Ripper is working away as I type.  Thanks all for your invaluable assistance, as per.  Now I shouldn't need to take a stack of DVDs to chemo day![:)]  Only have to get t'internet sorted and my Netbook will be all systems so.[/quote]

Glad it worked. Once you have paid them you get two years free upgrade protection, my first version was 5. something, it's now up to 6. something and it did not cost me to upgrade. You can buy another two years protection for about 14 Euros if you wish They also offer good support plus you can create the output in any screen format to fit from mobile phones upwards. Having tried all the free ones, including those already mentioned I found this to be the best product for what I wanted.

They offered me a Chrismas special of lifetime upgrades for an extra 14$ so I went for it.  The dollar's relatively weak at present so it seemed a reasonable deal although obviously, I'd have preferred not to pay at all.  But it is doing what it said on the tin so I will steadily try to get stuff onto an external hard drive too so if I have another back up also. 

Great stuff chaps, thanks all.

[quote user="AnOther"]Just a tip Coops, don't actually backup your DVD's but rip them as .avi files. This will reduce the HD space required to around 700mb instead of 4.7 or 8.4gb and viewing them on a small screen you will not notice any quality loss.

[/quote]Thanks for the tip.  Happily, with Q's software this was very easy to do too.[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="AnOther"]Just a tip Coops, don't actually backup your DVD's but rip them as .avi files. This will reduce the HD space required to around 700mb instead of 4.7 or 8.4gb and viewing them on a small screen you will not notice any quality loss.

[/quote]Thanks for the tip.  Happily, with Q's software this was very easy to do too.[:)][/quote]

Depending on what you are going to watch the films on you can reduce the resolution as well. No point on having it set very high for say a 40" TV when your watching on a 17" laptop.

[quote user="AnOther"]Or a 10.1" Netbook ![/quote][:D]

However, I do have a big telly as well!  You never know there may come a day when I want to play back from a hard drive to it, but for the moment I shall make do with the small files.  At least I can go to my chemo without a great wallet full of DVDs.  I never know what I'll want to watch until I get there - it all depends upon how much peace I get and thus how long the attention span is!

Cheers again chaps.

Archived