Complete France Forum

TV license payable on computer screens from 2013?

At the moment those of us who receive TV by Adsl watch on their computer screen and don't have an actual TV are exempt from paying the French redevance audiovisuel, payable with the Taxe d'Habitation.

It looks as if this exemption will stop from 2013

One of the 'loopholes' that is being closed, I suppose, and fair enough in a way, but still another 125€ more to find.

http://www.lemonde.fr/technologies/article/2012/06/30/la-redevance-bientot-etendue-aux-ecrans-d-ordinateurs_1727475_651865.html

Another piece of legislation that's not been thought through properly. It sounds as though it'll apply to those who are on contracts to receive TV, as for example with Orange, but many of us also receive streaming TV from time to time (who... me?  [:$]), so will it include all those with no TV but with a computer? And what about people with no TV but who have handheld mobile devices, iphones etc (not that I'd want to watch for too long on one of those!).

Sorry Norman, I didn't mean for you to answer these questions! I'm just thinking out loud. I find I'm talking to myself more these days too! [:-))]

But if you don't watch TV via your computer .............................?

Surely if you don't watch, you shouldn't have to pay! How do you prove you don't watch TV? The only thing I remember watching TV for was a few minutes of the royal wedding last year, until our neighbour brought her TV through here so we could all watch it together and drink champagne together.

Of course you shouldn't pay if you truly do not watch. You cannot prove a negative but the presumption will always be that you do watch TV unless you positively claim exemption saying that you don't.

Watching someone else's TV obviously doesn't count neither can the licence be PAYG !

The surprising thing really is that it has taken them this long to wake up to the issue, it's been the case in UK for some time.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

It's reminded me of the tale that if you don't have a TV in your house on Jan. 1st then you don't have to pay the redevance audiovisuel for the year. If that were true then I'm sure every Frenchman would remove their TV at 11:59 on Dec. 31st and return it at 1 minute past midnight on Jan. 2nd and I would join them.

That's interesting ANo, it's been a while since we had a UK residence and I see that laptops and mobile phones are now included on that list! I wouldn't mind betting that many people, like me, didn't know that. I have no argument about paying for what I use, more about paying and knowing that loads of other people are avoiding it. If it was to be controlled properly I'd feel better about it.

EDIT  I notice that is says you need a licence if you watch TV at the same time as it is being broadcast, or record it at the same time as the broadcast. There must be a niche there for relaying programmes with an inbuilt delay. What would be even better would be if they were relayed slightly ahead, then I might actually watch horeracing! [;-)]

Is there a K2 system or similar for offloading your TV reception liability offshore? [6] [:)]

I have often wondered why the UK does not follow the French system re TV Licence  payment .. Stick the licence  fee on the council tax and business tax rate for all premises  Those who do not have a TV to go to a Post Office  fill a form and make a declaration they dont have one ... I dont think the post office would get many turn up... Even the Porta Cabin at our local tip has a  TV on now .  Its got to be easier than chasing none payers and using  detector vans and imprisoning people .

[quote user="NormanH"]In fact in France you just declare that you haven't got one on your Income tax form each year, but I suppose with PAYE that might not work.

[/quote]

However, in France, alternative means exist for those of us who don't complete an income tax return, so I'm sure there would be options to do something similar in the UK.

The TV licence could be collected with the council tax as councils have a complete list of all premises and residences in their area and are the best placed to check. And, of course, people should have to make a positive declaration that they do not have a TV rather than the present system which is prone to abuse.

[quote user="woolybanana"]The TV licence could be collected with the council tax as councils have a complete list of all premises and residences in their area and are the best placed to check. And, of course, people should have to make a positive declaration that they do not have a TV rather than the present system which is prone to abuse.[/quote]

Yes, it certainly works in France; we sign a form each year to state that we have no TV, and no charge appears on our tax bill.

Archived