Complete France Forum

Calling UK mobiles from France

I would ask my providers, both Orange France and UK mobile company. I always always check as it is they who bill.........not us posters.

It was one of the first things I checked prior to my last trip to France, so I knew exactly where I stood.

In summer there is often a reduced price on UK mobile phone use abroad, but does your provider do that?

My guess, and I'm sure it will be corrected if wrong, is that it would be cheaper to use the Orange land line.

I believe that using the UK mobile would incur a roaming charge from the UK provider, plus the cost of a call from France to UK made from a French mobile, which would depend on which French provider's network your UK mobile happens to be connected to.

The cost of a call from a French mobile to UK would already normally be higher than the same call from a land line (except of course for someone with a French mobile and a special deal in their contract).

I think this is a difficult question to answer. The price will depend on which operator is used, what contract you are on, what contracts are available etc, etc. Then, just as you think you have it cracked, another operator comes along or they change their prices.

As an alternative you could use Skype mobile to mobile if you both have 'smart' phones and access to a WiFi point. If that is no good your will simply have to spend a few hours on the Internet doing some research by looking at the websites of all the different operators both in the UK and France. Not a simple answer I am afraid.

Archived